Friday, August 3, 2007

Best Friends


My best friend, Heather. came over today with her three children. Heather and I were born 14 hours apart (I won't say who's older as I'm such a good friend). We were in the nursery at church together, went to the same school together (K-12), we both got engaged in May of '94, planned our weddings and showers together, her wedding was 7 weeks after mine, and we've been pregnant together twice with the babies being delivered within 6 weeks of each other. As Heather once stated, we don't know life without each other.

Though we now go months without seeing one another due to the demands of our families and separate churches, whenever we get a chance to chat on the phone or go out for a few hours, we pick up right where we left off. Why is that? Because of our lifetime of memories. We've shared tears and a ton of laughs. We crossed the country together (with her family) when we were sixteen. Hey, we've dissected a pig together in biology class!

I have friends that I may talk with more often. I may get together with a couple of ladies more frequently. I may worship with a different group of women. However, none of these women, no matter how dear they are to me, will ever receive the title of "best friend." Not one of them has grown up with me. They haven't seen my childhood silliness. They haven't shared my adolescent tears. They haven't giggled with me as only teenage girls can do. They haven't walked with me through my parents' divorce. They haven't held my hand when I had to speak to hundreds of people. They haven't straightened the train of my wedding gown.

God has truly blessed my life with many friends. Each one had and has a purpose. Each one has a special spot in my heart and memories. However, they come and they go. Some stay longer than others, but one has stayed a lifetime.

So, today I pay tribute to my best friend. "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you."

4 comments:

elianna said...

We are all so blessed to have such fellowship in Christ! It's so easy for a true Christian friend to become like a sister, isn't it? That has always amazed me. Thanks for the reminder of how valuable a close friend is! It's very timely too as Sunday is National Friendship Day AND Sisters Day!!! :)
love,
elianna

drandall said...

Vicki, It is great to have a special friend, and I am glad you have one.
Aunt Peggy

Victoria said...

Happy National Friendship Day!!!! Wishing you all a great time fellowshipping with your friends!!!!

Heather said...

Vick- You certainly have a way with words & I am blessed to be the recipient of those sweet, kind & thoughtful words. My words can't begin to express how much your friendship means to me. I love you so much, since after all you ARE the sister I never had! God has truly blessed me with the honor of being called your best friend & I thank Him.