Thursday, August 2, 2007

Flying Years, Growing Children

This afternoon, our 4 oldest children were outside while I was in the house feeding the baby and watching Seth (3 1/2) and Gloria (2) play together. It made me think of when my oldest 3 were little. Michael had just turned 3 one month before Anna was born and Cassia was only 14 months old. I know I thought it was difficult "way" back then, but today I was sad that I could barely remember that period of time. Why didn't I enjoy it more?

I constantly hear people say, "Enjoy them now. The years fly by and before you know it, they're grown." I'm already beginning to see that. I look at pictures of my oldest children. It doesn't seem like it's been that many years, but I see the baby fat in the picture and then look at the boy who's almost as tall as I am. I realize the sad truth - time is flying by.

Michael is going to be 10 in a month. It dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that my time with him is probably about half over. In 10 more years, he may be on his own. In 5-6 years, he'll be working and involved in a lot of things outside the home. At best, I have 10 years to make up for all the mistakes I've made so far. Only 10 years to do a better job. Only 10 years to make sure I haven't warped him forever. Only 10 years to train him and constantly remind him of my love for him. Only 10 years. And each year passes more quickly than the one before.

I can't get the years back. But, I can ENJOY today.

4 comments:

elianna said...

I think you've done pretty good bringing up your older ones so far! :) At least you still have plenty of time to work on Seth, Gloria & Zane! :)
keep up the good work!
elianna
:)
"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." Isaiah 26:3

Lisa said...

Vicki, this is such a timely reminder for me! Felicia is only 6 months old, but she's already changing and growing! I miss her itty-bitty stage, and though I tried to enjoy every moment with her, I already notice that I wish I'd some somethings different. Like rocking her to sleep for example. I was so afraid it would be a crutch for her, that now I have to teach her how to fall asleep in my arms. That's NOT what I wanted!! Well, live and learn, and enjoy every day loving the baby God's given me!

Victoria said...

I did the same with Michael. I had to learn that I could rock him without making such a habit of it that he NEEDED it. Motherhood seems to be a balancing act!

drandall said...

Vicki, it is so true that children grow so fast and are gone before a mother knows it. Take it one day at a time and enjoy them. I know you realize this.
love, Aunt Peggy