Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Pray for Cassia

Helpless. That's how I felt each time our daughter cried, "My tummy hurts, Mommy! It hurts! I don't want to be sick anymore!" Waves of intense pain came every 15 minutes or so yesterday from 7:30 A.M. until 11:30 P.M. At that point, Eric took Cassia to the ER.

They were home by 5:30 this morning. Cassia had been given fluids, as she was dehydrated, and pain medicine. She felt great at the hospital.

Half an hour after returning home, the pain started back up. For the 3rd time in 24 hours, Eric took Cassia to the pediatrician. He sent them back to the ER for a bunch of tests. At the time of this posting, they've been there for 3 hours and the tests have not begun.

It's going to be a long day.

The most frustrating thing about this illness is that there is NOTHING I can do to help my daughter. Nothing to make her pain or other symptoms go away. Usually, Tylenol or cold medicine or something helps. This time, we were completely helpless - except for prayer.

I prayed hard. I asked for her pain to go away. I prayed for the doctors to have wisdom. I even cried out to God that this wasn't right or fair. Then I felt lower than dirt for insinuating that God was doing things wrong.

Then, in the midst of it all, I felt grateful. I was so thankful that the Lord placed us in a point of history where medical attention and intervention are readily available. Listening to my child's cries was heart-rending. But, I knew there would be help when we needed it. How many mothers in ages past, listened to their child's cries only for them to stop - forever?

So, though my heart breaks for my daughter, my heart rejoices in the mercies of the Lord.

"My Great Physician heals the sick..."

3 comments:

Aaron and Stephanie Putney said...

We will pray for Cassia. It is tough to watch a child in pain, you'd do anything to give them relief, especially bear the pain for them if you could. I know,I had Autumn at the afterhours pediatrician Sunday afternoon. I guess it might somehow help us to relate to how our heavenly Father must have felt as He poured out His wrath on His own Son to pay for our sins. How much He loves us! We often dont like it but it is through the fellowship of His sufferings that we know God better (Phil. 3:7-10). We look forward to hearing how God heals her, strengthens you and glorifies Himself through this.

Damon said...

I'm sorry for Cassia! And for the pain you feel as you watch her go through this. It was hard enough when our baby was sick... and she's too little to call my name yet! You WILL be in my prayers. Keep us posted!!

Stephanie said...

Oh, many hugs & kisses to your sweetheart! From all of us, but especially Alex.