Sunday, August 19, 2007

Precious Memories, How They Linger!

Tonight, our children were playing their favorite game outside - Civil War. Our oldest son has been extremely interested in that part of history for a year and a half and, naturally, the other children have followed.

Anyway, we were going to call them in to get ready for bed. Once we noticed how well they were getting along and what a great time they were having, we changed our minds. We wanted to enjoy the moment and the harmony.

Summer evenings playing together. Running, laughing, falling in the grass. These are the memories they'll always cherish. These are the memories we will hold close in our hearts as our little ones grow.

Watching our children create memories like these make us nostalgic for our own childhood. I remember many summer evenings in which we played late into the night. Riding bike, playing basketball with my brothers, just having fun. Good memories. So, as we watch our children do similar things, we hate to put a stop to the moment they are unknowingly capturing forever.

These days of childhood summers are fleeting. Spend them laughing and loving. Allow the children to run, laugh, and play until dusk falls and the stars begin to appear. Take lots of pictures. Bask in the glow of their smiles. Take in the squeals of childish joy and delight.

These are the memories that will last a lifetime!

4 comments:

Joy@Joy in the Journey said...

You are so right...thanks for this reminder. And, I will work at making precious memories, and enjoying them!
Blessings,
Joy

Stephanie said...

That's cute!

For me, and my friends, it was always WWII. We were all generals, we were all in the field, and each of us was going to 'get' Hitler.

You know how children's minds work!

Victoria said...

I'm glad my kids aren't the only warped kids playing war. Oh well.

elianna said...

It was the American Revolution for me until about age 13.. Now my brother is into the Civil War too, and all wars with planes. :) I actually used to divide up our yard into "countries" and ride my horse/bike daringly around in the "wars" between these imaginary places! :) Oh my. :) That was when i was into being a queen...now i'm content with being a daughter of the King of Kings, and it's a lot more satisfying! My dad was commenting last night on how much harder it can be for us soldiers of the Lord to fight our battles than it is for the military. (of course, that was right after we finished another WWII movie!) :)
see you,
elianna
:)