Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Reality Check

Some days are more real than others. In my case, real means mundane! I have spent an exciting day thoroughly cleaning out my kitchen cupboards in response to the double mouse sighting we had yesterday. Now I'm having a thrilling time listening to 2 of my children argue as they play a game. Soon, I will be making a delicious dinner fit for "Taste of Home" - I just wish I knew what it's going to be. To top it all off, my 8 year old is having pretty intense abdominal pains sending her into wails of anguish every five minutes.

Not glamorous. Not especially serene. Just real.

As I listen to the arguing and wailing and look at my house with toys scattered about, I wish I could say I feel completely at peace with joy overflowing my heart. Truth is, I feel a bit annoyed, overwhelmed, and a bit helpless.

Yet, I do see God's hand. I know He's in control. I know He uses everyday life to teach us life lessons. Like patience. Like loving the unlovely. Like the realization that I'm far from Christ in my actions. The lesson of being content where I'm at.

My house isn't ready for the photographers of "Better Homes and Gardens." Martha Stewart's job is secure. Our family is not going to win "Family of the Year."

Maybe tomorrow.

Today, God's still working on me!

1 comment:

elianna said...

You too? Once again I am grateful for the reminder that I am not the only one having a stressful day. Thank God that I am healthy & life is pretty good. I'm certainly praying for you! (and Cassia, give her all my love & hugs).
elianna
"thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee"