Saturday, August 18, 2007

This Day in History

August 18, 1990 - Eric and I have our first date.

Eric and I had talked earlier in the month and decided that after a year and a half of friendship we wanted to be a "couple." We first became friends when I was 15 and he was 18. I had fallen in love with him somewhere in my 16th year and now I was 17 and he finally "saw the light."

On this particular day, Saturday, August 18, 1990, we both happened to be at a friend's wedding and I was thrilled that he sat with my family at the reception.

Eric was a member of our church's "College & Career" class. I, being so much younger, was not. However, because of my older brother's involvement with the class, I was aware of the fact that there was to be a cookout and bonfire that night. I can't remember exactly, but knowing me, I probably hinted about the evening's activities.

Then, the wonderful moment came. He asked me to go with him to the cookout!! I was on cloud nine!

I recall bits and pieces of that evening, but I do remember that being the evening when many of his friends really realized that we were finally "going out." (Is that a term of the 90's or do they still use that today?) That night, I was honored to be known as "Eric's girlfriend." I now have the honor to be his wife and, sometimes, I have to refrain from feeling prideful about my "catch!"

I used to talk to everyone about my wonderful boyfriend. Now, I tell everyone about my wonderful husband. Unfortunately, I still struggle with telling everyone about my wonderful Jesus. Why is that? I am comforted that the apostle Paul himself asked for boldness in telling the gospel . However, I know I should be more in love with Christ than with any one here on earth, including Eric. If I really love Christ, I should share my relationship with him more readily than I proclaim my love for my husband. "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

I remember the first day I spent as a new child of God. I was almost 6 years old. I told everyone I saw in school that I had gotten saved the night before. I was not ashamed. I was so happy to be a part of God's family! What made me lose my delight in telling others of my relationship with God?

What if I ever lost my delight in speaking of my husband? If I never spoke of him to anyone - if I kept him a "secret" - I know that would eventually hurt Eric. "Oh, I love you honey. I'm just afraid to tell others about you. Why? Oh, because they might think I'm weird for loving you!" What an encouragement that would be!

I have a wonderful husband. I am Eric's wife. But, I have a more wonderful Father. I am God's child! Oh, that I would not only have the desire to share His love, but the boldness, also. May I not grieve Him by being ashamed to speak His holy name.

Eric loves me. However, my Father loves me more. Eric is truly wonderful and the perfect choice for me. Yet, he still fails. My Father is perfect and never fails me! I fell in love with Eric before he fell in love with me. God loved me first! I must tell others of His great love!

I love Him because He first loved me!

2 comments:

elianna said...

:) Congratulations! :) :) It's funny to think that that's not quite 2 months after I was born!
I agreee with the reminder to share Christ...so often we'll talk to people & totally forget to praise our Savior. I'll have to work on that, and remember to sprinkle more of Jesus in my conversation! :)
love you...
elianna

Lisa said...

Happy Annivesary! :-)