Saturday, September 29, 2007

This Old House


I don't know about you, but we've lived in our house for seven years and it's still unfinished!

Our house was built back in 1832, was bought by Eric's uncle in the 1960's and, when we moved in, the decor was circa 1970's. I'm serious, the carpet and wallpaper were probably older than I am! Pea green, avocado green, "flower power" wall paper. Very retro, very old!

Needless to say, A LOT of work had to be done before we moved in. In the process, wallpaper had to be scraped, flooring had to be ripped up, new carpets had to be laid, molding had to be taken down, changes had to be made in some of the electrical outlets, and the bathroom was completely gutted. When we moved in, the house looked 95% better. The only thing that needed to be done was hang the molding back up and put the light switch covers back.

It took, at least, 3 years for us to get around to putting the switch covers on and there are outlets that I still have no clue what they're for! The molding in the living room and our bedroom? Let's just say we'll one day have a grandson who will want to come over and do something for us. Grandpa will find the long lost molding for him and I'll bake him cookies.

I got thinking about these things this morning when my daughter noticed the "outlet without a purpose". What a blessing that I was able to share with my daughter how different heaven will be. Christ has gone to prepare a place for us. No detail will be left unfinished. And, best of all, it will never need to be re-done!!

Though we do our best to make our home clean and welcoming, I do realize some things look a bit unfinished, a bit worn, a bit old. (A house sometimes resembles it's owners!) But, it's a reminder to me that this world is not my home and there is a place waiting for me that is far better than anything I can imagine.

When you live in a house that's over 170 years old with things that, I'm sure, are still unfinished from the original plans, it helps you to keep things in perspective and look for that city whose builder and maker is God!

3 comments:

elianna said...

OK-our house was biult in 1970 and for YEARS we wondered about the switch in the wall (halfway down the stairs) that did nothing. Now we know what it was for, and we put a blank cover on. You really had me laughing there! Aunt Vicki, I'm FIRMLY convinced that (with the exception of retired millionaires) NO ONE lives in a totally finished house! Some of us can look forward to our heavenly mansions more than others though...:)
We have to talk about painting & figure out a date soon too... :)

Dave said...

You need to get Sam over there. He'll fix anything. You should see all the work he did at my house! Every window now has blinds in the entire place, there are shelves in the garage, and I know what all the light switches are for!

Speaking of ugly decor...do you remember our house in Hilton that had that ungly red wallpaper?

Dave said...

Sorry

Ungly = ugly

apparently Hookt on Fonix Sher Wirkt fer mee!