Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Phone Call & a Hero


Last night, around 5:30, I saw that I had a voicemail. So, I pick up the phone to listen.

"Hi, Vicki. It's Kelly. I wanted to talk to you in person, but I guess I'll leave a message."

(I think - oh she wants to order more corn stalks to decorate with)

"David's cancer is back."

(my heart sinks)

"He's in the hospital for the next 3 or 4 days going through his first round of chemo. He'll have his second round in 3 or 4 weeks. We're looking at doing the bone marrow transplant, too. Just pray - they say he'll be more tired this time around. I didn't want you to find out about this in church. Thanks. Bye."

A phone call I wasn't expecting, not really. A phone call I wish I had taken in person. A phone call to remind me of the frailty of life.

Dave is one of Eric's dearest friends. When the two of them get to talking - there's no stopping them. Dave is one of Eric's heroes.

Dave Hance is an incredible witness for Christ. Few of us know what he really does to make money. But, most people who know him know that he is out on the street any chance he gets to proclaim the love and salvation of Christ. He truly loves souls. He truly loves the brethren.

The hero is sick. The hero is weak. But, the hero continues to press on for Christ. He's in a hospital bed, but every doctor, nurse, and visitor that he comes into contact with hears about the love of Christ. In his testimony, the hero stands strong.

What is God's plan? We cannot know. We need to pray and cling to the truth that God is faithful and "that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

To quote my pastor:

"The bad news is...the cancer's back. The good news is...God knows all about it!"

Please pray for this faithful man and his family. Pray like he was a member of your family, for in fact, he is. He is your brother in Christ, just as he is mine. Lift him up. Pray for his healing. For God's grace. For God's comfort.

But, most of all, I know Dave would ask that you pray for the salvation of souls through this.

Because that's the kind of guy he is. Concerned more about others.

A hero.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

We'll be keeping the Hances in our prayers, definately.

elianna said...

I will sure be praying!

Mr. Young said...

I don't know him, but your exactly right he's a brother in Christ. I'm Praying for Bro. Hance and family.