Saturday, September 15, 2007

Wishing...


Today, I wish I could call my dad.

On my way to a funeral down in Wellsville, I had to pass through the tiny town of Belmont. This is the town where my father spent many of his growing-up years.

Belmont isn't very exciting. In fact, I doubt it's changed much in the past 40 years. But, somewhere in its streets, it holds the footprints of my father.

Until today, I have never been to this small, inconspicuous town. I have no idea what house my dad lived in or which church his father pastored. However, it held a sense of nostalgia for me. I felt that I must have memories of this place. I could almost see my father as a young man walking to school or laughing with friends.

I was in Belmont today. I wanted to call my dad and tell him that I finally saw the place where he grew up. That I can finally picture a bit of his past.

But, I can't call him. Dad's at his new Home. One day I'll join him, though, and I'll tell him then.

And we'll laugh and talk about how much better the beautiful city of Heaven is than the small town of Belmont!

4 comments:

heather said...

I miss your dad too! I am looking forward to seeing him again someday. I'll always remember him singing his "In 1814 I took a little trip..." song. Don't remember any more of the words but I sure laughed at them then. What a sweet man he was!

becky said...

Love you sis! That's all I have to say :0) I am sending a big hug your way.

peggy randall said...

Yes, Belmont is a small town. I would like to be able to talk to your father too about living in Belmont, but some day like you we will meet in heaven. It will be great to talk about days gone by.

Aunt Peggy

Mrs. U said...

Hi there! I somehow found your blog and this was the first post I read. Now I'm sitting here crying all over the place! My parents are both still here, but I know the day is fast approaching when the Lord will call them Home, too.

His,
Mrs. U