Thursday, October 4, 2007

Before and After


I was just thinking about life before children. Why? Because my 3 month old just spit up all over me and all over the floor. There IS a reason women should get married before having babies. Because, once they come it's all spit up and poop. Guys claim to be tough, but these two things send them running!

Anyway, life before children. It seems so long ago. Back in those days, there were so many things I could do...

-sleep in!

-shop for as long as I wanted - in peace. In the case of grocery shopping, I could do it as quickly as possible, even leaving in the middle of dinner prep to get a needed ingredient that I thought I already had.

-spend Saturdays just driving around finding interesting out-of-the-way places with my husband.

-sleep in!


-visit with friends in the middle of the day.

-read my Bible any time during the day, something I took too much for granted!

-make gourmet meals to serve my husband by candle-light


-oh, did I mention sleep in?!

Now that I have children, the things listed above are put on the back burner for, at least, another 20 years. Life with children now includes...

-when I want to sleep in, I end up rolling out of bed when the thumping begins to shake the entire house or when the screaming threatens to wake our neighbor a half mile down the road.

-perfume? Ever tried "Eau de Puke"?


-casseroles, pasta, hot-dogs, anything that takes 30 minutes or less to prepare!

-shopping? Grocery shopping only and at night - without kids.

-our family car is now a 12 passenger van.

-going for rides now include "Patch the Pirate" cds and children wondering where in the world we're going. They don't quite get the concept of enjoying the scenery.

So, why would anyone want kids? Sounds like they take all the fun out of everything! Not really. You would understand if...

- you ever had a 1 year old kiss you on the cheek or hug your neck.

- you ever heard a baby coo and watch him smile for the first time.

- you ever saw your 2 year old try to sing and follow along with her older siblings in "If You're Happy and You Know It..."

- you ever heard a child say to you, "You're my mommy!"

- you ever heard a child pray in a way that teaches you something about faith.

- you ever felt the closeness with your spouse that only teamwork in child-rearing can bring
.

- you ever saw your husband throwing your little boy in the air, pushing the little girls in the swing, or wrestling with 6 little ones on the floor.

Yes, there are times when I wish I could go back to having some more "freedom." Those were good times and there is a time in everyone's life when that is necessary.

But, then I realize, even if I could go back - I wouldn't. Not for days of sleeping in. I'd miss the laughter, the kisses, and the love that only children can give.

"...the fruit of the womb is His reward."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely. My mom always says this is just the season of life I am in, I love this season with the kids (which is why I think we keep having them). I can't imagine being out of this season. But you have reminded me to fully enjoy my little ones even when it is a hard tiring day. Thanks- Sarah Hinds

Dave said...

I never saw anyone throw their kids in the air like you said, but I did try and throw a friend of mine's in the air and forgot about the ceiling fan....

No worries, it wasn't on ALL the way or anything....

Lisa said...

I had to laugh at the sleeping in comment. That's one thing about motherhood that I didn't really expect! ha! Well, it's good for me, and all her sweet smiles definately make up for any lack of sleep! :-)