Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Child's Sorrow is the Mother's Sorrow

This morning, I had to break the news to my sweet daughter that her pet goat died.

Yes, we had her for a total of 3 days and now she's gone. Apparently, what the previous owner described as being "normal" was not and my husband found her in her stall this morning - dead.

For all the grief she gave us in her stubbornness, she was a great pet.

The hardest thing in the world is having to look in your child's big eyes and tell them that something they love has died. I, like most mothers, want to shield my children from pain and sorrow. However, that is impossible.

Preventing and shielding is not my job. It's my job to love my children and cry with them when they are hurting. It's my job to point them to the Saviour and help them keep their eyes on Him and trust that His will is best.

It was a stupid goat. But, my daughter loved her. Therefore, I cried as my daughter cried. My heart hurt as her heart broke.

I also did the unthinkable and got on the phone and asked a friend of mine if she had any goats she wanted to get rid of. No one said a mother's love is rational.

We may or may not get a new goat. We hope to. In the meantime, my little girl is a little sad.

And so am I.

4 comments:

elianna said...

Well I guess God's got the perfect pet for you guys out there somewhere! I mean, after the dog thing & now this, there's got to be SOMETHING really really great coming your way! :) Hope it shows up soon...give Cassia my sincere condolences...

Felicia said...

Aww poor little girl. She was so excited about that goat! That must've been hard to break the news to her. Hopefully something else will come along soon.

peggy randall said...

I am sorry that Cassia lost her pet, and I pray that another pet will come along.

love,
Aunt Peggy

becky said...

We are so sorry to hear about Cassia's goat. Let her know we love her too and give her a big hug from Aunt Becky!