Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Just Another Day on the Funny Farm

I got up at 6:33 a.m. Never mind the fact that I went shopping at 9:00 last night, got home at 10:00, went to bed at 11:00 and woke up at 2:12 a.m. with a baby boy who wanted to party. Seriously, this kid can sleep through the night - he just has decided he doesn't want to. So, at 3:30, I finally took him downstairs to sleep (or cry) in the playpen. Peace at last.

For three hours.

I quick got dressed and put in my contacts. Hair and make-up would have to wait. My daughter needed me to help her with her new chore - taking care of an 8-year old female goat.

We got her yesterday. It's like having a dog - with horns. Really, she's very sweet. Only thing is, she's...well...having her feminine time of the month.

Yeah, goats have that, too. Who knew? I didn't. Neither did my 8 year old daughter until 7:00 this morning. That was fun trying to explain.

Later on in the morning, I went back out to the stables to help coerce this new pet to come outside. If you were to have driven into the farm around 10:00 a.m., you would have seen me leading/dragging/bribing this goat with the help of a leash and a graham cracker. You do what you gotta do.

Mom stopped by around 11:30. She acted like she was happy about the goat, but, she can't fool me. However, we had a nice visit over some much needed caffeine-in-a-cup.

Once she left and the children had finished lunch, I went up to clean my son's room. This wasn't on the agenda for today, just as none of the aforementioned things were. This was a desperation-cleaning as my son's toys seem to have a habit of calling his name during school hours.

He has a habit of answering their call.

So, I had to do the "tough-love" thing and clear them out. Seriously. The kid now only has a bed, dresser, clothes rack, and a table in his room. No more distractions, right?

Around 4:00, his light switch "just falls off the wall." Has anyone else ever had that phenomenon occur in their home? He already had 2 out of 3 bulbs blown and then, I quote: "I was sitting doing my work and the light went out and the switch fell on the floor." If it was going to happen, it only made sense that it would happen today.

5:00 p.m. - I finally clean up the lunch dishes.

By this time, I've already decided that church just wasn't going to be a part of our evening. I hadn't had a chance to lay the younger kids down for their naps, the goat had to be found and put back in the stable, daddy still wasn't home, and the crock-pot dinner that's supposed to cook for 4 hours wasn't even started.

Eric came home. I fed the kids leftovers while he went out to buy light-bulbs and some stir-fry. He fixed the lights and switch when he came home and we ate a romantic candle-lit dinner at 8:00. Well, as romantic as you can get when your youngest is screaming his head off and your oldest is still hashing out his math problems - out loud.

I'm sure I wasn't the most lovely dinner guest - I never did get around to doing my hair and make-up.

Welcome to my life. Come by and visit sometime. We'll let you feed the goat a graham cracker and watch light switches fall off our walls.

9 comments:

elianna said...

And I was wondering why you weren't in church! :) (we're supposed to get goats next week...)

Lisa said...

Sorry your day was so difficult, but I have to admit- your telling of it made me laugh! And... just WHY did you get an 8 year old goat? I think they're just about the worst animal on the planet! So stinky... But I'm sure you've got good reasons. :-)

Victoria said...

Oh, a lady needed to get rid of it because her neighbor complained of the, um, smell. Truly, I don't smell it - of course, we have a lot of open fresh air! Cassia really wanted it - it's pretty much hers. Oh, and I was glad to laugh at my day last night, too! :0)

Jen said...

That was hilarious! A good way to addd some comic relief to an otherwise exremely stressful day!

Felicia said...

wow....sounds like a crazy day! That does explain the not being in church. I also got a laugh from how you wrote it! (I have to say...I've been at your house multiple times and have yet to see a light switch fall off the wall!:)

Dave said...

I don't think I have ever read anything so funny in my life!

Sounds like a day in my office!

Goats and everything!

elianna said...

I agree with Felicia, all the times i've been there the lighting seems to be normal! :)
The way you write is SO enjoyable! keep it up...but I hope you don't have to post something like this again for a LOOOONG time...:)

becky said...

I had to laugh at that. I think the best was how the light switch just happened to fall off the wall...hmmm...lol

Piera said...

Well written article.