Monday, October 15, 2007

Rocking my Baby

I feel the weight of his head in the crook of my arm. He looks at me and smiles. I rock in the rocker that was given to me at my bridal shower. His eyes close as I sing a hymn. They open every once in a while - seemingly to see if I'm still there. I am, and he smiles once again.

With my first baby, I was afraid I would spoil him if I held him too much, so I didn't allow myself that luxury too many times. With each child since, I've allowed myself more time with them, just holding them. Some haven't liked it, some have. Zane does and I'm glad, for who knows if I'll have another opportunity such as this?

Each time a baby grows into a child, I forget what it's like to feel that baby-closeness, smell that baby-smell, and bask in that baby-smile. I forget the joy that comes from rocking a baby. Then, the next one comes and I remember and treasure it all over again.

Some day, I'll forget and never be reminded again.

So, as this baby looks at me one last time before he goes to sleep, I smile. "Yes, I'm here. I always will be. I love you."

He smiles and closes his eyes.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I can completely relate. Everytime I rocked Felicia in her newborn days, I'd close my eyes and try to imprint in my mind the weight of her head on my shoulder, the feel of her little back under my hand, how her feet barely reached my lap... She's already lenthened so much. :-( These days are certainly ones to be treasured!

elianna said...

So sweet! I can't understand how ANYONE could help loving a baby...

Mr. Young said...

Yeah I had some of that same experience last night...um...I mean this morning from about 12:30am to about 3:30am...yeah basking the the baby smile, and baby smell...well not really just like that, Justin cried and whined on and off (mostly on) until after 3am, and can you believe it, my alarm still went off at 6am. It's like he didn't know Daddy had to go to work. Oh them little treasures....and just when you think they calm down, there's that baby smell again only stronger this time, and it's coming from his pajamas...he didn't go to sleep, he went...you know! aghhhhhh.... oh well long night last night, but even then I wouldn't trade it for the world

heather said...

I too am trying to soak in every moment with Julia. Aren't God's blessings wonderful?

mommy of Five said...

i love this post! we have 5 little blessings! we are done having babies, but i want to chereish EVERY moment! who cares if he gets spoiled, he will out grow it sooner or later, they dont' stay little for ever so i'm soaking it all in now! thank you again for this reminder =0)