Thursday, October 11, 2007

Young Love Remaining

Do you know what I love about being around and observing young people? Their fresh and unhardened look at life - especially love. I love listening to someone speak of their boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/new spouse and see the stars in their eyes. I love to watch newly-weds gaze at each other, hold hands, and laugh. They help me remember what is was like for Eric and me.

Then, I look around at older people. Older = anyone married more than 5 years or any one who has children. So many have lost that fresh look at love and life. I can't even imagine what they were like when they were young and in love. In fact, I know they were young, but, were they ever in love? They help me to see that love can be a fragile thing and is not to be taken for granted. Nothing, including self and children, ought to take priority over the gift of love that God has given me in my husband.

Then, while I'm looking around, I spot them. The couple that's been married for 20 or 30 years. They've raised their children, they've come against hardships, and they've weathered the storms of life. And, they're gazing in each other's eyes with a new depth. They're holding hands with more feeling. And, they're still laughing. This is the couple that I want to be. They set the example for what I want our marriage to look like now and always.

When Eric and I were first married, I would hold his hand or put my head on his shoulder. Usually, someone would say "newlyweds." I would respond, "I hope to still be acting this way when we celebrate our 50th anniversary!"

By the grace of God, we're still holding hands, I still lay my head on Eric's shoulder, we're still laughing. We're on our way to accomplishing my goal - with the Lord's help.

So, here's a big thank you to all the young couples reminding us of how we once felt and to the happy older couples who remind us that we can still feel that way.

10 comments:

Dave said...

By your definition....I am young and you are.....?

hehe

Victoria said...

...OLD!!!!!!!!

Dave said...

Just thought I would clarify.....besides, it's amazing what one day difference in Birthdays will do for you :)

elianna said...

Oh come on! NEITHER one of you is OLD!!!!!! (it's fun to see old friends tease each other!) :):):)
Aunt Vicki, I couldn't IMAGINE you & Mr. McC EVER stopping acting like newlyweds...:):):)

Jen said...

Vicki that was SO sweet. I guess that Nate and I are "old" beacause we have a kid, but we've only been married for a little over a year. People still tell us to "get a room" all the time! :)

Felicia said...

so sweet Vicki...I also love to see couples that have been married for 20 or 30 years and are still so in love after all that time. <3

CresceNet said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

elianna said...

You really should find out who this crescenet person is!! :)

Victoria said...

Dave helped me track it down - it's some sort of advertisement. It's a bit annoying, to say the least! If they're reading this - PLEASE STOP!!!! There, I feel better! :-)

Dave said...

I reported the web site as spam. I'll see what it does.

Dave