Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Absence of Valentines

I wasn't going to post today, but the title of this blog seems to demand that I write something!

Normally, I love Valentine's Day. A wonderful day to do something a little extra special for the one I share my life with. A day to take time to think on how blessed I am to have him to love and to be loved by him.

But, tonight, my Valentine is hundreds of miles away. So, I'm sad. I miss him terribly. I can't sleep well without him. Even though my house has been full of other people since he left, I miss his company. I miss seeing his smile. I miss his kisses. I miss his nearness.

As I sit here feeling sorry for myself, I think of several ladies that I know personally who, if they were not so gracious, would laugh at my self-pity. These women have husbands in the military. Husbands who are overseas for six months, a year, or longer. Women who have to pray for their husbands safe return with an earnestness I can only imagine. Women who are left to meet the daily needs of their children and homes alone.

My valentine is away for a week and a half. I miss him like crazy. This gives me some comfort to know that my love for him still runs deep.

But, my valentine is away for a short time on vacation. He is safe. He calls several times a day. My children won't forget what he looks like. They won't forget what he sounds like. We don't have to worry about him. We don't have to wonder...

To those whose valentines are in harms way...as you miss him, as you pray for him, as you continue to love him, know that I pray for you. As a result of my relatively pathetic separation, I have a deeper appreciation for the sacrifice you make. Your men are heroes of mine, but you, their wives, have my deepest respect and admiration.

I know it's an odd valentine's day post, but, as you enjoy a special evening with your sweetheart, pray for the sweethearts who are sacrificing many special evenings together - for us.

4 comments:

the reynolds said...

I share your sympathies for these women. I can't imagine the military wives who face life alone. Children, finances, home, auto, schooling, sicknesses, decisions, lonliness. They need our contiual prayers!

Jenna said...

so true...they are giving so much for us and days like Valentines are all the harder for them!

Jenna said...

so true...they are giving so much for us and days like Valentines are all the harder for them!

Dave said...

I can just imagine how difficult carrying on a relationship long distance must be.

I wonder how people make it work!