Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I'm Still Here!

Last Friday, I flew down to Virginia to visit my "sis" - BY MYSELF!!!! All of you mothers out there now know why I haven't blogged in two weeks.

For those of you with no children, or for those men, it would take too long to explain all that goes on in the days leading to a mom's departure. It's so complicated, it would make a military general's head spin.

It has now been two years in a row that I've gone away alone. It's something I look forward to. However, though I loved my time with my "sis", being away from the family"responsibilities" is not all it's cracked up to be. I can go away with my husband, and I don't worry about my children at all because I'm still fulfilling my role as a wife and best friend to my husband. But, when I leave my entire family, I'm completely stepping out of my God-given role.

As I left the three babies at my mother in law's, I cut a part of my heart out and left it with them. As two of my children left for their various homes on Thursday night, they each reached in and took their portion. Then, just before I went through the security gate at the airport, I looked into the eyes of two more of my children and the love of my life and ripped the remaining part of my heart out, dropped it on the floor, and stepped on it as I walked away.

At least, that's how it felt.

Again, don't get me wrong. I had a wonderful time spending time with my "sis" - time I haven't been able to spend with her in years. It was good to laugh until my sides ached, talk about the past and dream about the future. It was nice to go shopping without worrying about the kids. It was nice to get pedicures and get pampered like I never have been before! I'm glad I got to be with her.

But, it was nice to come home.

I did laundry today. I scolded children today. I changed three dirty diapers, so far. I've made dinner. I helped with schoolwork. I listened to children argue.

I thanked God for the blessing of my family and the blessing of being home. Home is where the heart is and my heart is back where it belongs, beating stronger than ever!

6 comments:

elianna said...

Getting away IS nice-spending time with friends & having fun-but coming home is the best part. It's where you belong! :) Glad you had fun but we did miss you here...see you soon!

Felicia said...

that is very sweet. I'm glad to hear you had fun. Your family must've been SO happy to have you home!!

Jenna said...

We HATED when my dad would send my Mom to Florida!! :) But she loved it! I'm so glad that you got to go!

simplysanctified said...

I loved your last statement - comes from a beautiful, content, and joyful heart!

Ginger said...

Wonderful! I ave only left my children and husband one time and that is last year for OMAC. That is it. I am glad you had a good time, I am glad you are home too!

JulieMom said...

How nice!

Now I am totally jealous, and wanting to see MY sis who is across the ocean....

But I can wait until 2010. I think.

:0)