Friday, March 7, 2008

Of Petitions and Freedom

Many of you may have already heard about the freedom of homeschooling being virtually taken away in California. Long story short - unless you are a certified teacher, you are no longer allowed to teach your children at home in California.

However, this is a long story that ought not be cut short. Thankfully, Rebecca posted all the necessary information on her blog. I was going to have you click on her link to the HSLDA petition, but I've decided to put it here. Please fill out this petition - New York tends to follow close behind California. This DOES concern you. Even if you are not an HSLDA member, even if you are not a homeschooling parent, you can still fill out this petition! PLEASE do so!

My cousin and his wife live in Los Angeles. They have been missionaries out there for a couple of years. Both Todd and Sarah are certified teachers (I just found out today that Sarah was certified), yet they homeschool their five children. Earlier this week, they informed me that they will be moving out of the state of California. When I found out the news of the homeschool ban, I asked Sarah if this were the reason they were leaving. I am posting her response as it was an encouragement to me:

Most of the ladies around me are going crazy with this. I am at such
peace...and not because we are moving (because it can effect us all) and
not because I also have my teaching credential...I have a peace that God
is going to move in this in a mighty way. Whether that is to bring
"family education" into the center light or to move his jugdement on a
nation as a whole. Call me strange...I will continue to pray but trust
God completely!
It is awesome timing for us that we are moving and had no idea about
this issue. Also the housing market is the most "under valued" in Texas
of all the states right now. I continue to praise the Lord for his
provision! He is the Almighty.
So in light of who he says he is, I will not worry over the homeschool
issue (although I have no intentions of stopping and will sign all the
petitions!!HA)
Todd and I joked about opening a private school for homeschoolers. I
have my credential and he has his and a Masters in education. We
actually asked God about 4months ago for a vision where Todd could be
home more and yet be involved with other homeschoolers for a
"job"...maybe there is an answer in there somewhere.
Praying peace on everyone and God's mighty hand to preserve
homeschooling!
Love,
Sarah

My first response to something like this tends to be fear. Sarah helped remind me of the fact that my God is the all powerful creator of this world. NOTHING happens without His knowledge. My family and I are held in the palm of His loving hand!

We all need to trust that the Lord is in control and will do a mighty work - one way or another. He is good - ALL the time!!!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Signed it!

Colette said...

Hi Vicky, It was good to find you on here. I love reading your blog and seeing the pictures of your children! I'm so happy to see that you are doing great and that the Lord is blessing you and your family! On another note...do you know if Dawn Snyder has a blog?

Sarah...the Momma! said...

Wow! I think I scared all your viewers away!
I glad it was encouraging to you. God is always good!
Sarah

Felicia said...

signed it too!

Jenna said...

i signed it