Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Angels in Heaven Rejoice...and So Do We!!!

On March 26, 2003 when Mike was 5 years old, he read a Tim Lee tract in our van on a Wed night after church and said that he prayed and asked the Lord to save him. We grilled him and came to the conclusion that he was being truthful and that he had, indeed, been saved. A few years after that, Michael got the courage up to be baptized.

For various reasons, Eric and I have been questioning Michael's salvation this past year. He knows the talk, but there was little evidence other than that. It got to the point that I actually asked him about it this past New Year's Eve. I told him I was concerned. He either was not saved or very far from the Lord. We talked for a long time, but I told him the decision was ultimately his. He went away thoughtful, but nothing was done. Eric and I continued to pray that Mike would either get saved or grow - and make his salvation evident to us.

Yesterday morning, Mike kept getting into trouble. I finally sent him outside to run laps (a regular consequence for him - helps him burn off energy and change his attitude). When he came in, he was crying and continued to do so as the kids and I read the Bible. I asked him a few times what was wrong, but all he said was "I don't know." I've come to the conclusion that he says this because he's not sure how to explain things right away. Anyway, after a while, he came to me and told me he doubted his salvation.

Sunday in church, a couple of long-time, faithful, and godly members confessed that they had finally come to Christ just this past week. However, I'm not sure that directly played a role in Mike's decision. He mentioned nothing of those testimonies. He said that this has been bothering him for months (since New Years) and after our Pastors class on Saturday teaching how to lead someone to the Lord, Mike questioned his salvation even more.

He knew all of it, but he finally came to the point where he is sure he is a sinner and he can't change himself. He asked the Lord to forgive him for turning his back on Him, to wash his heart clean with His blood, and to save him. No lightning flashes, no voices, just a simple prayer. Michael reminded me of the long, showy prayer of the Pharisee versus the simple 7-word prayer of the publican - "Lord, have mercy on me a sinner."

Mike is talking about getting baptized this Sunday and is looking forward to reading through the book of John with new eyes.

I'm thankful to our faithful Lord for answering the prayers of these oh-so-human parents. I rejoice that my son is now on his way to heaven. Please pray that his love for the Lord will grow daily and that he will be a faithful and true servant of God. While you're at it, pray the same for me!

Thank you for rejoicing with us!

4 comments:

Stefanie said...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOO! Just got on to see this! PRAISE GOD!!

elianna said...

Praise the LORD! It's going to be exciting to watch Mike really grow in the Lord! :) I told you this was going to be a great year @ church!!!

JulieMom said...

Wow, I am so happy for you! We are praying for our two youngest. It's a blessing when they're ready!

And a relief I might add. :0)

Praise God!

Ginger said...

Amen Amen!