Monday, April 7, 2008

Welcome to...My Life!

Everyone wants to move out to the country. Away from the noise. Away from the lights. Away from the crime and danger. Normally, this is true. Except for yesterday morning - which happened to be my birthday.

Um, no, it wasn't a birthday celebration out of hand. I just threw that in for some extra comments.

Anyway, back to the country.

I woke up yesterday around 4:00 A.M. (yes, there is such an hour) to the sound of a police siren. Interesting. We live on one of those country roads where everyone goes 55 m.p.h or faster and the stop signs are, apparently, optional. The results of this deadly combination are often...well...deadly. Therefore, upon hearing the sirens and noticing my husband had already left the room, I decided to go downstairs to see what was going on.

When I got downstairs, I noticed cars traveling ever so slowly up and down our road shining very bright search lights in the field. Normally, this isn't done for your average lost house cat, so, being the super-sleuth that I am, I knew something more was amiss.

Eric, of course, was outside running in his bare feet down the road trying to catch up with the police officer to see what information he could get out of the guy. These guys, however, have nerves of steel and won't give any information - no matter what grueling interrogation methods your local farmer may use. All Eric could get out of them was that they were looking for "someone."

Very informative.

Little information creates big worries on my part. Eric comes in with this tidbit and I instantly reach back into the Reader's Digest/late night movie department of my memory and begin to envision a murderer running around our fields and possibly targeting our house as a good hostage/ransom/murder scene.

Eric, on the other hand, thinks the whole thing is exciting. He decides to go outside and watch the action first-hand. I beg him not to go out there. For all I knew, this guy is hiding out in our barns with a gun ready to shoot the first person he sees. That's all I needed on my birthday - my husband wrapped up in a body bag. Then I got to thinking of being in the house unprotected if the mad-man decides to go through with the formerly mentioned hostage/ransom/murder plan.

After taking some time out for great consideration and thought on my logical arguments against him going out to the war ravaged country side - Eric left. (Ok, so he listened to my hysterical begging as he got his coat on.) I was now on my own to protect our house.

Soon, we have police cars driving around the farm shining lights into tractors, barns, swingsets, etc. Eric actually got to join the search as the policeman hopped on the back of Eric's ATV and took him around the property and into the woods. Do you know they don't care if you drive without a helmet at night as long as you're helping to search for a crazed murderer? I mean, really, what's a helmet when you could be staring down the barrel of a gun?

At this point, I was seriously considering waking a great woman of prayer from our church with a phone call. Do I or don't I? Lord, are You telling me to call her? If this criminal comes in my house to implement the hostage/ransom/murder tactic, I won't be able to call 911. Yet, if he comes in while I'm on the phone with Alice, she can call 911 for me.

I finally decided to stop wasting time and just pray to God on my own. Seriously, I was praying all along. But, now, I was able to pray with some reasoning. The Lord truly did give me peace.

And my husband came back without bullet holes.

Turns out, the police had pulled over a car for questionable driving and the driver was an illegal immigrant. Somewhere after handcuffing him, he ran off. Must be pretty disheartening to lose your prisoner. Really messes up your morning.

Shortly after Eric came in from his police work, the helicopter started flying overhead. They were still searching for Mr. I. Alien when we went to church. Far as I know - they never did find him.

Cops, escaped prisoners, lights, helicopters, and a husband risking his life for the welfare of the neighborhood. Welcome to...my life in the countryside!

12 comments:

elianna said...

Well, I certainly can't say it's boring when I'm at your house! AND that you didn't wake me up. :)(though I kind of wish you had! please do next time...I think!)

Jean Marie Bibby said...

I couldn't stop laughing at this post, after saying a quick 'thank you' for your safety. I even shared with my Eric and he got a good laugh. Sounds like they may have more in common than just the name :-). He would have done the same thing.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for a good laugh after a long Monday, Vicki!! By the way, it's so nice and peacful here at our place in the country(well, except for my 5 kids that is) but just keep your illegal immigrants over there anyway, okay? :o) LOL! C U soon!

Lisa said...

Wow! You had quite the morning! I'm know it wasn't fun to live through, but- since everything turned out okay- it was fun to read about! :-) I'd have begged Damon not to leave, grabbed a BIG kitchen knife, then knelt down to pray. You have more faith than I do. :-)

Victoria said...

Lisa - I thought about the kitchen knife! It was definitely going to be my weapon!:)

Ginger said...

what an interesting life there Vickie!

Janice said...

You crack me up!

I am sure you were a wreck, and I am also sure Alice or a dozen other ladies would have welcomed the mid night call- myself included!

You might consider your self like the modern day underground railroad! Oh, wait- you weren't really inviting "Uncle Jose" to come...were you?!

Happy Belated Birthday!! :) I was too busy celebrating myself to actually catch you on THE DAY!!

Felicia said...

well...you sure do make a scary story fun to read about! I heard about the search on the radio as I was driving to church, and was surprised I hadn't seen any police cars since they said it was in sweden. I guess they were all at your house! :)

becky said...

LOL! All I could think about as I was reading this was when we were babysitting and watching that scary movie at midnight! OH MY! STAY IN THE CAR!!!!

Okay seriously though...how do you loose a guy in handcuffs anyway? Can't imagine having to go back to the station and explaining why you are missing those...

Glad you were all safe though as I know my mind would be thinking along the same lines as yours and of course Dave would have been out there with Eric...

Love you! Hope you had a wonderful birthday besides your 4am wakeup call.

Sarah...the Momma! said...

Happy be-lated birthday Vicky!
See, you can come live here with us in Los Angeles...that's a daily occurance here! I'm sure you had your fill for awhile though.
Glad you were all safe.

JulieMom said...

Happy belated birthday to you!!

And this post was so funny!

Glad everyone is ok.

Estabilizador e Nobreak said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.