Tuesday, June 17, 2008

From the Family Waiting Room

We are about 7 hours into Michael's surgery. As my computer got fried in the latest thunder storm (another story for another time) and I don't seem to remember most of the addresses on my e-mail list, I will attempt to update here on my blog. So many of you are praying for us today - something we do not take for granted!



We got here at 6:30 a.m. Our pastor met us here 5 minutes later. I must say that it is such a blessing having a Pastor who truly is our friend and cares for our family so very much. And, it's not just our family. He loves each family in our church and really enjoys serving us and being there for us!



Mike was not afraid. Sometimes, he may be concerned about something and the only way I know is by looking in his eyes. This morning, the only thing on his face and in his eyes was peace and, dare I say - joy! The Lord shone through him today. We were able to tell others why we are at peace. As we prayed over Michael, the nurses in the room bowed their heads with us. There was no question in anyone's mind of our faith in Christ! May He be glorified!



The most difficult part was putting Michael to sleep. You know how it usually goes - put the mask over your face and in about 3 seconds you're zonked. Today, try about 3 minutes, at least! I'm not kidding. That's the only time I saw a bit of concern in my son's eyes. Like he was questioning why it was taking him so long to fall asleep. He said he was finally getting sleepy, then he became a little agitated, then he laughed because he was feeling so loopy. Then, he got REALLY agitated. He started thrashing and trying to roll off the bed. It took about 4 of us to hold him down. He didn't realize what he was doing; it was the medication. But, I wasn't expecting this reaction and with the beeping machines, I was getting scared. I looked at the faces of the doctors and nurses trying to judge if they were concerned. I finally asked, "Is he alright?" They said that he was, but I wasn't certain. I then saw two nurses looking right at me. I realized then that everyone in that room was aware of our faith in God and that this was the time for it to shine through. If I were to fall apart, what is that going to say about my faith? So, as I had my hands on Michael trying to hold him down, I closed my eyes and prayed quietly to the Lord. I told Him that I knew He was in control. I asked Him to calm Michael. I truly felt like Abraham with Isaac on the altar. In a short time, Michael calmed and was asleep. If I were going to cry, it would have been then. But, the lost were watching. If Michael could hear, he didn't need to hear fear in my voice. I thank the Lord for His strength, grace, and faithfulness.

We just got a call saying that they should be done by 5:30/6:00 tonight. Then, it's on to the PICU until tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and friendship to us. Michael is flabbergasted by the fact that there are people all over the world - people he's never even met - praying for him. We are blessed.

"The Lord is my helper."

5 comments:

Felicia said...

wow that sounds very intense but I am so glad the Lord helped you through it! It's great that you can give us an update even as he is still in surgery. I haven't stopped thinking about it all day. I'm still amazed at the peace Mike has at his age. God is definitely working through him.

the reynolds said...

Vicki - I've been thinking of you all and praying all day. Please let us know when he's out and how he is. So glad God was able to hold you up in the stressfull times! Trusting all will be well....

Jenna said...

Thank you so much for the update! I have been praying for him and you all day!

arielle said...

Thanks for the update. We are all praying...!!

Brenda said...

I know this is so far after the fact...but how wonderful that it occured to you that people were watching. I would have been like, "I don't care, this is my baby!"

What a great heart for God's will you have.