Friday, June 20, 2008

I am Rejoicing!

Yesterday was, by far, the most difficult day. Mike got moved to a regular room and also had to try walking twice. Every step he took was agony. After the first time (he just walked from the bed to the door and back), the nurse had him sit in a chair until noon. His total sitting time was about 45 minutes. He cried and looked at the clock almost the whole time. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't having a tantrum. He was truly hurting. He would say "I can't stand the pain."

The second time he walked, Eric was here. I was grateful for that as I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it without him again. Eric is perpetually encouraging. We took Mike to the rec room where Eric and I tried to entertain him by playing air hockey. He wasn't amused. We took him to the "play-deck" where there's an outdoor patio. If he spoke at all, it was to ask if he could come back to his room and go to bed.

He hurt so badly and there was nothing I could do to help. I wanted so much for him to be different from the kids in the world who go through this type of situation. I wanted him to just lean on Christ. I didn't expect him to be smiley, bouncey, and enthusiastic. Just a sober reliance on God, ya know?

Somewhere along the line, I realized that he's TEN years old, for goodness sake. How am I when I'm in labor? IN PAIN! The pain is all-consuming. I'm not discontent in my situation, but I hurt. I believe Mike was in even worse pain than I am in during labor. Think about it - moms know the pain will end. If they take pain meds, the pain does go away. Mike was on morphine and still in pain. He doesn't get a sweet baby in the end. In fact. at 10 years old, he probably doesn't see an end.

My friend, Elianna was such a blessing last night. I told her how Michael hasn't once said, "I wish I never had this surgery." She then pointed out, "That's how he's different from the kids in the world!" It's true - he's not discontent with the situation. He just hurts.

The good thing was, as I walked with Michael the first time, I noticed that he "grew" taller as a result of his surgery!

The other good thing? The Lord continued to walk with us in the midst of our trials.

Last night, our pastor spent the night up at the hospital. How many pastors do you know who do that? That's not a negative reflection upon other pastors, it just shows you how special this particular pastor is. Because of him, I was able to get a good night's rest and spend some time with the other children this morning.

I arrived here at 12:30. Mike was looking good and said that his pain level was only a 4 or a 5! Amazing. When we mentioned walking, he didn't say "No" but, "Can we do the wheelchair thing again?" Praise the Lord! He got out of bed fairly quickly and when he was standing said, "That didn't hurt much." I wish you knew how monumental that statement really was! Then, he asked if we could go to the rec room. When we got there, he and I played air hockey. He sat in his wheelchair and, after a while, I got a chair to sit in just to make it even. When he became tired, we wheeled him around the halls. On his way back, we had him walk twice as far than he has - and he did it without complaint!!!

After reading a few cards from friends and briefly visiting with the Hance family, he is taking a nap. He hasn't taken pain medicine since 10:00 this morning.

Today is a great day! Therefore, I say, I am rejoicing!

9 comments:

Stefanie said...

This is great news!!

elianna said...

Praise the Lord! I am so thrilled to hear that he's feeling a little better! :)

Angel said...

Praise the Lord! We'll keep praying for him. I am glad you have been able to get some rest.

Jessica said...

YEAH! That is wonderful to hear!!!

Carolee's Corner Canary Islands said...

Glad to hear that he is doing better. How sweet of Pastor to stay with him all night. Hope every day is a little better for Michael.

Jenna said...

That is great to hear!!! I have been thinking so much about him! PLease let him know that he is in our prayers!

becky said...

Oh that is so wonderful! Ahhh the power of prayer! He will be up and going before we know it! Love you!

Felicia said...

I'm so glad to hear this! I can just imagine how happy you must be. :)

JulieMom said...

What a blessing to hear the surgery went well and he is recovering.

God is surely good to His children.