Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Beautiful Moms - What Are We Doing?



Well, there are still three hours left in this Tuesday - just enough time to post for Beautiful Moms.

This morning, I was reading in Ezekiel. Poor Ezekiel. He's the prophet who had to lay on his left side for over a year and on his right side for 40 more days to illustrate something about the destruction of Jerusalem. All this while he had to eat food cooked by a fire fueled by...um...cow manure. I'm thinking this man will REALLY enjoy the Marriage Supper of the Lamb!

Reading about the destruction of Jerusalem made me ponder the obvious destruction of this world in which we live. Look around you - Christ's return is imminent.

First of all, let me make clear that I've always been someone who has struggled with prophecy. I get almost nauseous when people begin to talk about the rapture and the tribulation. I know I'm not going to be here for most of it, but I'm one who likes to think "happy thoughts." I don't like when people put dates on the "end of the world" as it makes me doubt the sense of making any sort of future plans. I mean, really, if Christ is definitely coming back in a year or two, let's stop homeschooling now and have some fun!

But, that's where I really stopped to think. If Christ is coming back soon, what am I doing? As a mom, what am I doing to prepare myself and my children to meet Christ face to face?

Sometimes, we think homeschooling, caring for the home, cooking good meals is good enough. We are fulfilling what God commands of Christian mothers. But, are we doing what God commands Christians to do?

"Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel..."

"Be kindly affectioned one to another...Not slothful in business: fervent in spirit; serving the Lord...Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality...Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep...Live peaceably with all men..."

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers..."

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and the widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

So many more verses I could list, but I have to ask myself, "Am I doing these things?" I may love and reverence my husband, I may be a keeper at home, I may love my children, etc., but, am I being a Christian worthy of the name? Am I following Christ by showing compassion to those outside my family? Am I telling others of the unconditional love of the Saviour? Am I laying up treasure in heaven by being busy in the work of God?

Even if Christ does not come until after my children are all grown with families of their own, what am I doing for Him now? How am I training my children to fear Him and to serve Him? Doing school in the room off the living room isn't going to make them great missionaries. Cooking them nutritious meals isn't going to encourage them to visit the poor and needy. Staying at home with them will not train them to have an answer for the hope that lies within them.

These are all wonderful things. I'll venture to say they fulfill the biblical pattern set for us. But, they are only a beginning to fulfilling the greatest commandment:

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all they heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind."

In God's eyes, a Beautiful Mom is a beautiful Christian.

The time is short - whether we have 2 years or 30 years. What are we doing?

6 comments:

Sarah...the Momma! said...

Great post, Vicki!
Thanks for the reminder that our eyes have to always be looking at the "here and now" as well as looking to Christ's return. It continues to give me hope as I grieve our loss of Andrew and at the same time, risk again by sharing my faith with the birth mother. Thanks again for the challenge and encouragement!

Little Family said...

It's really neat that you wrote about this, because last week our Pastor preached on this very topic. I am like you, I don't like to hear about the end times. Happy thoughts... happy thoughts. But after the message, I was so convicted. Not only about what am I doing as a Christian outside of my home, but in my home. That really hit me harder. Am I preparing Samantha to stand on her own spiritual legs? I know she is not even 2 yet, but it needs to start now. Anyway, thanks for writing this.

Jean Marie Bibby said...

Vicki,
This is such a wonderful post. Our Pastor has just finished two sermons on eternity.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=715081344552

Thank you for your blog.

Brenda said...

Hmmmm.






Hmmmm.


Now I'm thinking....

Mr. Young said...

I think your blog entertains strangers : )

Ginger said...

the was very pretty vicky!