Monday, January 19, 2009

No Longer Mine, but God's

I've had more thoughts running through my head than I've had time, lately. I've been meditating on the following thought for over a week.

I was reading in Exodus about God calling Moses to save the Hebrews from slavery. We all know how Moses gave excuse after excuse of why he wasn't the right man for the job and how he just knew the people wouldn't believe him (we don't do that, do we?). At one point, God had Moses throw down his rod and it became a serpent. Apparently, it was a scary serpent as Moses ran away from it (Ex. 4:3). Then, God told him to pick it up by the tail. Let's give Moses some credit - he did THAT without question whereas most of us would have smashed it with a rock first!

In the midst of reading this very familiar story, something suddenly popped out at me in Exodus 4:20 - "And Moses took his wife and his sons, and set them upon an ass, and he returned to the land of Egypt: and Moses took the rod of God in his hands."

Moses did not receive a brand new rod. It was the same old shepherd's rod he had been using to shepherd his father-in-law's sheep. Except, it was no longer the same. God had touched it. God had claimed that rod to do His work. Moses threw down his rod and picked up God's rod. That rod would be Moses' tool in his new occupation - shepherding the flock of God.

So, the question I've been meditating on is this: What is MY rod? What is it that I use daily in my job as wife and mother that God wants to touch and make His? What is it that He will ask me to throw down?

This isn't a matter of giving something to God. Moses didn't sit in the field and look at his rod and decide he would give it to the Lord for His use. It is a matter of obedience. God just told him to throw down his and he did - not knowing what would happen.

So, I do not have an answer to my question. I do not know what God will make His. I will pray for an obedient heart. Then, we'll see what miracles God will perform!

1 comment:

the reynolds said...

Excellent observation to ponder. Isn't it amazing what God can do with a passage of scripture yo have seen so many times before? Yes, the living Word of God....