Friday, March 6, 2009

Counting My Blessings

This week, I have been made acutely aware of how blessed I truly am with the husband God has given to me. So, I just wanted to take some time and focus on some of the wonderful things I am thankful for in my dearest love.

1. He is saved, walks with God, and aids me in growing closer to our Saviour.

2. He truly loves me as Christ loves the church - putting me first and himself last most of the time.

3. He makes me laugh. Out of the blue, he'll say or do something so "out of character" that I'll laugh till the tears come.

4. His calm, logical manner balances my reactive, rash behavior. I have learned to go to him first before reacting to situations I don't understand or times when I've been hurt by others. He listens to me vent without judging me, then helps me calm down and see things from all angles. This has saved me many times from feelings of bitterness and resentment over situations I have no control over.

5. He gave me a chance. Eric comes from a good, stable home. He never wanted to marry a woman who came from a broken home because of some of the baggage that may entail. But, he gave me a chance. He fell in love with ME and accepted my family and all of our quirks. I'll never be able to put into words what that means to me.

6. He works so very hard to provide for our family. This is not a menial thing. Look around you. How many men do you see who allow their wives to support them or only give the minimum requirement to bring home a pay check? My husband works hard for what he brings home. And, it's not only because he's part owner of his place of employment - he worked just as hard when he was employed elsewhere in the first part of our marriage.

7. As a balance to #6 - I love the fact that Eric keeps his work-aholic tendancies in check. He puts forth every effort to leave the farm "back at the barn" - a very hard thing to do when you live on premises. He makes a conscious decision every day to stop in the middle of his projects (which are continuously ongoing) and close up the shop in order to spend time with those of us who love him more than anyone.

8. I love the fact that he can be spontaneously romantic in his own way.

9. I love his knack for judging what is right or wrong and still letting someone know he cares about them.

10. I love his smile. So many people will mention Eric's smile as it just brightens a room. It brightens my day when he smiles at ME. So many couples just stop smiling at one another and that is so very sad.

11. My husband does not abuse my physically, emotionally, or verbally. This may sound odd, but have you ever thanked your husband for not doing these things to you? All you have to do is hear about a friend or relative who has to put up with these things and you will look at your patient husband with a whole new attitude of thanksgiving.

I could go on with so many other reasons why I feel so blessed and I will continue to count my blessings regarding Eric even after I sign off on this post.

Just so you know, I realize that Eric is not perfect. Part of love is accepting those imperfections and focusing more on your spouse's strengths. And, as an interesting side-note, the last time I saw Eric today, I was miffed at him for one of these perceived imperfections (more my problem than his, most likely). Instead of stewing over how insensitive I thought he was, stopping to count all the reasons why I love him, helps that annoyance go away and rejuvinates that "lovin' feeling" once again.

If you are married, I challenge you to list the reasons why you are grateful for your spouse and the things they do (or don't do). No matter if you're madly in love or just mad - see if it makes a difference.

6 comments:

Sally and Greg said...

Thanks for the encouragement to love my husband more and count the blessings that he has brought into my life! Great post...mine will be coming soon!!!

:)

Sarah P said...

Aww what a sweet post Miss Vicki! its so encouraging to see people who are still in love w/ each other after being married for quite awhile! you guys are such a blessing!

Mrs. McGinn said...

I enjoyed your "Counting Your Blessings" very much. For a young person you sure have a handle on it. Even though we have been married for 42 years I also have been blessed with a loving Christian husband and in our senior years it grows even sweeter! Especially when you realize that we don't know how much longer God is going to give us to share our lives together. Each day is even more precious.

Jenna said...

I will do mine soon, too. Recently I've been amazed at what a great man my husband is (as if Iw asn't alraedy before) and I'm falling in love with him even more!!!

Little Family said...

It's so funny how the Lord works things out. I was just thinking this morning how thankful I am for a great husband. i was nervous about him coming home. I thought maybe he would be overwhlemed with all the work and the girls. But he has stepped up and is doing an awesome job. Just to brag, he let me sleep in this morning. And when I woke up, he had laundry started, dishes done and Samantha fed. I too am thankful for a great man. THanks for sharing.

just a girl named jenn said...

Thanks for taking the time to write this, Vicki! Isn't it so wonderful to have a husband who not only loves you, but CHERISHES you? A man who actively seeks to follow God's word while raising his family, and who's also a great provider is a rare thing these days. This reminds me again how blessed I am to have that kind of man as my husband!