Wednesday, March 18, 2009

This Day in History


March 18, 1979 - I accepted Jesus Christ into my heart.

I was not quite 6 years old. For some reason, I remember actually struggling with this decision. I have a memory of kneeling beside my parents bed with my mom at one point, but deciding against asking Jesus to save me. Why? Because I was afraid of the whole concept of hell. It scared me from doing anything.

Hey, I was five.

However, on this evening, I was sitting in the kitchen with my dad. I don't remember the events leading up to my prayer, but I remember sitting in one of the brown 70's-style padded chair at the brown kitchen table and asking Jesus to come into my heart.

How excited I was. I recall telling my teacher in school the next day. There's a memory in the recesses of my mind of the librarian finding out during library time. These ladies rejoiced in my decision, making the whole experience even more special to me.

Five years old. What horrible sins had I committed that I needed to repent of? I have had several children 5 and younger in the past few years. Trust me, there's a lot of sin in those little hearts! But, seriously, it's not as much of what I had to repent than in Whom I had to trust. At five years old, I recognized the fact that only the blood of Jesus could allow me into heaven. I knew I would never be good enough.

During these past 30 years, there have been many times when I have not feared God and have sinned against Him in ways I am ashamed of. I am constantly amazed by His matchless mercy and longsuffering. I cannot imagine what kind of person I would be if I had not met my Saviour at such a young age.

I thank God often for the blessing of being born into a Christian home. I have never known life without God. But, 30 years ago today, God became more. He became my Saviour. Through the years, He has become my Comforter, my Protector, my Father...

and my Friend.

3 comments:

Sally and Greg said...

Happy Birthday in the Lord, Sister! I was saved around the same age...don't remember exactly when, but I remember it! What a blessing to look back over the years and see God's wonderful grace and mercy that He has so marvelously extended to us. Have a great day in Christ!!!

Little Family said...

Your ssecond to last paragraph reminded me of the verse of how we are to forgive 70 times 7. That's what God does for us. He really is longsuffering. Besides the fact of your soul being saved, I am so glad you are a Christian, because otherwise we never would have met. :) Love you!

Jenna said...

Happy Spiritual Birthday! We are so blessed not to have so much baggage of the world, even though we are awful sinners too! Praise the Lord for Christian Homes!