Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The 4 Ingredients to My Happiness & Success as a Home-maker

It's been a while, but I've been cleaning, remember?

The other day, after a profitable day of homeschooling and cooking dinner in my clean home, I got to thinking about why I seem to feel happier and more successful as a home-maker lately than I have in the past. I've been on this roller coaster ride long enough to know that I may have a down-turn again, but what is my success & happiness dependent upon? Due to time constraints (I'm a mom of 7, remember?), I will break this up into a 4-day series.

The first ingredient:

My walk with the Lord.

If you have been a Christian for any length of time, you realize that your attitude, your daily life, your reactions are completely dependent upon your relationship with God. I find that if I let a few days go by without reading my Bible or keeping up a conversation with my Lord, I become a pretty miserable person.

Yes, I said a few DAYS. I know. Most of you MAY skip one day here and there, but never 2 or 3, or 7 days in a row. Ever. Pretend you can relate.

Without the Light guiding my path, I tend to become even more impatient than normal and the guardian of my tongue seems to take a leave of absence. By my misery, my children become miserable. With miserable children, it's difficult to get anything done. Miserable children have difficulty doing their schoolwork & getting along which requires more of my time. When I'm bickering with my children or just have a poor attitude, my creativity level is low and meals become boring, hum-drum, repetitive...you get the point. My poor attitude creates a spirit of selfishness and doing things for my family such as laundry, cleaning, cooking, changing diapers, etc., become a burden and a point of resentment.

However, opening my Bible, reading it, speaking to the Author sheds light on my day. I see that my children are still learning and I am their trainer. I see that I need to have in my mouth the law of kindness. I take the time to ask the Lord to help me in the areas in which I am weak and I lift up my children in prayer. Not necessarily for them to behave, but for them to have a love for God and to please HIM, not ME. God shines the light over onto my responsibilities and enables me to see that by fulfilling them, I can bless my family. He fills my mind and heart with songs so that I may replace the miserable grumbling with a bit of happy humming!

A new day. A new prayer. A new truth...in the same ole Book. The first ingredient to happiness & success in being a home-maker.

In truth, the first ingredient to happiness & success in all areas of life.

4 comments:

Little Family said...

Great post!!! You said just what I have been thinking lately. Specifically this morning I was thinking this very thing.

AmyLin said...

That is so true Vicki! It's amazing how our own heart (we think it's hidden, right? :) is reflected in our children. Can't wait for the other 3 ingredients!

Sarah...the Momma! said...

Thank you for sharing this, Vicki. I agree and know when I am seeing myself in my children!! haa (The good and the bad!)
Again, thanks for being the iron sharpening iron!
Much love...

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

I love your blog. Love it.
I've realized, too, that I need MY time with the Lord, not just prayer time that I have with the kids. I need to pour out my heart and let God in. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. Why is that so hard to remember when I'm busily grumbling?