Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Clean Thoughts

It all started with a scheduled meeting of homeschool co-op teachers at my house. I looked around my house and knew something needed to be done.

Don't get me wrong. I normally strive to keep my house in some semblance of order. Well, as much as possible with 7 kids. I usually make time to sweep, mop, and vacuum (at least the downstairs) on a weekly basis. But, dust? Wipe down walls and cupboards? Do windows? Um, yeah. I can't remember the last time I had time to do those things. Hire someone else to do that, yes. But, do it myself? Hmm...

Well, I knew I had over a dozen adults coming to my house. Unlike drop-in guests who understand they just interrupted reality and that's why there's still food smeared on the kitchen table, expected guests, well, expect more.

So, I got to work. Four days before the meeting. Which is rare for me. Usually, I'm in a tizzy four HOURS before people show up. But, in order to ward off the pre-hospitality stress, I got to work.

I dusted, straightened, threw away, scrubbed walls, floors, ceilings, cabinets, windows. I stayed up until 2 a.m. one morning as those late hours are preciously uninterrupted hours.

You know what? I am more content with my house now than I have been in a long time. I didn't get any new furniture. No new curtains. We didn't remodel. I just cleaned.

And I feel like a new woman.

Oh, and may I introduce you to my 2 new maids? The ProForce 1500 my husband bought for me a month or so ago as I am MURDER on your average department store vacuum.
This, I bought yesterday as my new vacuum has no attachments. This has given new life to the inside of my windowsills and my stairs!
I am truly a happy housewife!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good job, Vicki! :o) I so need to do all that you mentioned in my house. The windows have so many fingerprints and grime on them, the kitchen floor, well, let's say I wish I had a dog right now, and the dust? Hmm, wow! Thanks for reminding me of all I need to do as I'm laying here in bed trying to relax!! LOL!:o)

Persuaded said...

I have also found that I am sooo much more contented at home when everything is all spic and span clean... speaking of which, I'd better get off this computer and down doing the dishes!

btw, I am hostessing an apron give away at my blog and i'd love for you to come n over and enter☺

Tamra W. <3 said...

Hi Mrs.M!I am Tagging you! go to my blog to get the Tag! tamrasfunstuff.blogspot.com!