Monday, June 1, 2009

Sharing Your Life Together


Isn't that a beautiful couple? They got married on Saturday. They are not what you would call your "conservative Christian" couple. The didn't do everything the Bible way. However, they showed the utmost respect for the wedding ceremony.

My husband and I were betting what they would do during the cake cutting portion of the reception. Would they be nice or smash it? I must admit, I expected them to smash it. I mean, after all, we all know church-going Christians who have shoved cake up the nose of their newly wedded husband or wife.

I was so very happy when, after cutting the cake, they fed each other a bite with the love and grace deserving of the tradition.

There is symbolism behind every wedding tradition. The cake cutting/feeding symbolizes the sharing of the new couple's lives with each other. It symbolizes the submission to one another and the promise to love, honor, and cherish each other. What is a couple saying about these things when they smash cake all over each other's faces?

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to have fun. I love to laugh with my husband. We love to tease one another. However, we did not smash cake into each other's faces on our wedding day. I smeared a tiny bit on his nose, that's all. Making him look foolish and getting into a cake fight was not on our agenda of the loveliest and purest of days.

This couple may not have done everything right. But, showing each other the honor and respect deserved as husband and wife was definitely the right thing!

note: this post is not intended to condemn anyone who believes differently - it's not a scriptural truth - it's just the opinion of the author. :)

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Ummmm......I shoved cake in my husband's face. And he in mine.

We didn't PLAN TO! He said he felt me starting to do it and I felt him starting to do it and we just....smashed. And laughed a lot. It was really fun.
And actually quite out of character for us!

Lisa said...

I'm with you. There's not much sweeter than the newlyweds treating each other with respect during the cake ceremony. Of course, a little dab of frosting on the nose is always fun. :-)

Persuaded said...

it sounds like it was a very sweet ceremony... and they certainly are a beautiful couple♥

Mrs. Bee said...

I smashed cake all over my husbands face.... It was fun. However, he was sweet and did not do that to me. I also look back, I was not a submissive wife then either, did not plan to be. HAHA..... God is truly good!