Thursday, September 3, 2009

One of Those Days

Have you ever been one hour into your morning and realized it was going to be "one of those days"?  Usually, that prediction is correct and the day just keeps falling down around you like Jericho's wall.

Yesterday looked like it was going to be "one of those days."  I awoke at 6:30.  My 2-year old awoke at 6:40.  The very same 2-year old who seems to have taken upon him the task of waking his sisters most morning by standing outside their bedroom door and screaming.  Loudly.  Fortunately, I was able to put him back to bed (he only got up one more time) and then I was able to go back into my room and read my Bible.  

So far, so good.  Then I went downstairs.

Do any of you have children who 1) enjoy antagonizing their brothers and sisters by telling them what to do even while they are neglecting their own duties; 2) daily "forget" the morning routine that has been set for YEARS; and/or 3) seem to be completely blind to crumbs, spilled milk, standing water, and other "goodies" on the kitchen shelf and floor that would attract varmints?  If you do, then you may understand completely why, after each of my children exemplified each of the above attributes to their "finest", I began to see it was going to be "one of those days."

However, after taking a walk and sobbing on my husband's shoulder (it's nice having him on the premises at times like these), I was able, for once, to consciously change the seemingly inevitable future.

When I went back into the house, I had originally planned to get all of the children together and talking (aka "lecturing") to them AGAIN about the rules of the home and how we should treat one another. After that, we would joyfully get back to school.  However, an idea came to me as I was walking in the door.

"Everyone, get your shoes on.  We're going for a walk."

No where in particular. We ended up just walking to our pond, threw in some stones, and walked back.  On the way, the kids spotted toads & bunnies, threw sticks for our dog to fetch, and brought home a snail to observe for the day.   We didn't talk about anything in particular.  I never did give them that much loved *cough* lecture on behaviour.  We just enjoyed a nice morning walk.

When we came home, the kids made a little terarium for optimal snail observation.  We got to work on school.  We had fun.

And we had peace.

How did that happen?  Thinking back, it's because of what I did at 6:45 a.m.  After getting my little screamer settled back in his bed, I READ MY BIBLE.  I prayed for my kids.  I prayed for wisdom in parenting them.

It could have been "one of those days."  However, by the grace of God, it turned out to be a day I will remember fondly for a very long time.

3 comments:

Little Family said...

What a great post. So true what your day is like when you get time with the most important person in your life. My day too falls apart when I don't talk to the Lord. THanks for sharing.

elianna m said...

Aww, glad it turned out ok in the end! :)

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

Such a great post. Today was "one of those days" for me. And, although I did the Bible lesson with the kids this morning, I missed my OWN quiet time. I won't make that mistake tomorrow. I need help. I need God. Daily. Hourly. Every second of every day, and especially when the boys decide to bicker and fight instead of doing their school work.

Love this. Thank you.