Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Traditional vs. Likeable


So, I have the mandatory apple pie in the oven for tomorrow's finishing course.  Pumpkin pie is in the refridgerator.  I, personally, don't care too much for these pies, but like every other good American woman, I make them to keep with national tradition.  Sort of a bonding with our Pilgrim ancestors.


However, if I have to eat apple pie, I might as well make it intereting.  I perked up when I saw this recipe posted earlier today.  Apples with caramel - THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!  It's baking in the oven right now and I am sure I will be dreaming of that first bite all night long!


Like many families, I always accompany the required desserts with some even more tasty desserts!:)  This year, I made a Sweet Potato pie which I think is more flavorful than Pumpkin. The annaul Toll House Pie is a glorified chocolate chip cookie, but it is truly delicious and fits right in with the pie theme that seems to be so popular on this holiday.  In case any of the younger family members turn their tiny noses up at pie (for they care not for tradition), there will be chocolate-chocolate chunk brownies to satisfy to their sweet tooth. 


Sadly for me, my mother's famous Lemon Meringue pie will not make an appearance this year.  It is my absolutely favorite pie, but because few others in my family like it I rarely make it.  My mom always blesses me with it at Thanksgiving; however, we will not be spending Thanksgiving together this year, so no meringue for me!  Boo Hoo!


You must have some favorite family traditions in the form of food for the Thanksgiving table.  Please share with me what they are.


May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving counting your blessings as you spend time with the people (and food) you love!


3 comments:

Sally, Greg and Hannah said...

Oh my. I am totally craving dessert now!!!! Everything you are making sounds wonderful! We just love Thanksgiving in our family. The best dessert has to be my mom's homemade apple pie. She knows how to make it sooo good! This year, my sister and I are bringing desserts to the table. I am making a Turtle Pumpkin Pie, (with vanilla pudding, whipped cream, caramel and chocolate toppings, etc.) and my sister is bringing Coconut Cream Pie. My sister in law is making a Pumpkin Roll. I am SOOO Excited! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your precious family as well!

Janice said...

You make the lemon meringue... or anything lemon! ... and I will be there! The Apple Pie is a definite to try as well! Have a blessed day with family!

Nomad said...

We used to get together with all the extended family on my dad's side. Cousins, second cousins, cousins-once-removed, even in-laws would come in from all over the East Coast. Everyone would have their specialty dish to bring- we always did the apple pie. I remember on lady's cranberry/orange/apple relish. Yum! I haven't had it since I got married! But, this is the year to start new traditions- it's our first with Damon's side, and they're gearing up all their famous recipes. So, new traditions this year! I hear the Matacchiera stuffing is fabulous. I made applesauce for the occasion, just the way my mom always did- several different kinds of apples cooked in the crockpot all day! Makes it really smooth and the house smells so good, too! So, yes, I can understand your talk about traditions, old and new! It's part of the holiday!

Hope you have a very HAPPY and memorable Thanksgiving!