Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Counting My Blessings

During the past week, one after the other of us has been knocked down by the flu.  Now we seem to be moving right into a nasty cold.  I was going to spend my blog post talking about sickness, the "blahs" of winter, etc., but decided today would be a good day to just count my blessings.

1)  I am grateful that we have illnesses that we will recover from relatively quickly.  I am so thankful for our family's over-all good health through the years.

2)  I am grateful that my husband has a job to go to every day and that it supplies our needs and our wants.  I see several friends searching for jobs and trying hard not to stress, but leave it in God's hands.  So far, never in our married life has Eric been without a job and I am so very thankful for that tremendous, and rare, blessing.

3)  I am grateful for my children.  Yes, they may drive me crazy at times, but they make life interesting and fun. I love seeing things through their eyes and experiencing new things with them.  If it weren't for them, there is so much in life that I would never have experienced.

4)  I am grateful for young friends who remind me of the difficulties and joys of growing up.  Because of them, I will not soon forget those days and I hope those memories will help me to better help & understand my children as they grow into adulthood.

5)  I am grateful that my husband comes home every night, does not drink, does not gamble, does not do drugs, does not beat me, does not insult me, but loves and cherishes me with his whole heart.

6)  I am grateful for a little 3 year old boy who loves to be snuggled.  And, I'll tell you a secret.  Though he's not supposed to suck his fingers, I love it when he just snuggles in my lap and puts his fingers in his mouth.  I'm not ready to let my baby go.

7)  I am grateful for lots of land for my children to go out and safely play.

8)  I am grateful for 24-hour stores.  Moms don't always get a chance to shop during "normal" hours!

9)  I am grateful for the hope of spring.

10)  I am grateful for friends near and far who encourage me, pray for me, laugh with me, and inspire me.  I hope I do the same for them.

So, my head is still clogged, my nose is still leaking, my eyes are still watering....but my heart is full of thanksgiving today!


2 comments:

~SALLY~ said...

Awww...hope you feel better soon! I LOVE your list too. Sometimes it is good to list our blessings. I don't do it enough. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Julie said...

That was by far your BEST blog. I mean, you have written some good ones, but I highly enjoyed this. Praying you all are better.