Friday, February 11, 2011

Damsels in Distress & Big Galoots

So, I have this boy & girl living at my house.

The boy is a teenager.  A young teenager.  With an attitude that is getting old fast.

The girl is not quite a teenager.  But, apparently her emotional hormones don't know that.  She cries.  A lot.

The boy has not yet learned to be a gentleman.  He's what most 13 year old boys are - a big galoot.  (I find it a bit self-satisfying that spell check is not screaming at me over the word "galoot."  Apparently, it is a real word & I have spelled it correctly the first try.)  When a big galoot comes into contact with an extremely sensitive damsel, nothing good comes of it.

The big galoot is basically my husband's problem.  All he is to me is character training.  That's a whole other blog post.

The damsel in constant distress is my problem.  I sat on her bed this evening and explained to her that I understand the fact that she feels ready to cry at the drop of a hat.  I understand that she usually has no idea why she wants to cry.  I told her that I know how frustrating it is.   I also told her that, though her father is a sweet, considerate man now, he was also once a 13 year old galoot.  Only difference was, he didn't have a younger sister to drive to tears.

Just as the girl will learn to control her emotions, the boy will eventually become a gentleman.

How long this will take, I do not know.  I'm not even sure it will happen, but I have to have faith.  During the course of this journey, there will be three more distressed damsels and two more galoots.

I suddenly just got the same feeling I get when slowly climbing the first hill of a roller-coaster.  I'm buckled in, it's too late to get off, and I better pray I live through this.


No comments: