Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Triple Chocolate Cake

So, this is not a recipe blog.  I do not think of myself as the Pioneer Woman (where does that woman find all that time anyway - homeschooling, cooking, blogging, ranching, writing books, giving interviews, photographing every second of her life, & now a food show?  Seriously...but that's a whole other blog post better left alone!).

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to post a recipe or two up here once in a while (I'd say once a week, but other than marriage, I'm not very good at keeping commitments).  This brilliant idea occurred to me as I was making a cake for someone this afternoon.  I figured, easy recipe, doesn't take long...what better one to post?

Did you know it takes twice as long to put together the easiest cake in the world when you take pictures of each step?

Yeah, well....maybe not every week.

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CAKE
(one of my family's favorites and a great cake to make when short on time & you want to whip up something yummy.  Best part...it can be served warm!)

Ingredients:
1 package chocolate cake mix, 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix,  4 eggs, 1 C sour cream (I eyeball it), 1/2 C oil, 1/2 C warm water, 1/2 - 3/4 bag of chocolate chips.



Procedure:
Dump everything but chips into mixing bowl (I love that I don't have to mess with "this & this, mix.  Now, this & this, blah blah blah).



Get a cute helper to turn on the mixer.



Mix at low speed for 1 minute.





I took a picture of the timer, but it was filthy & wouldn't post that.  Pride & everything.  I'm working on it.

Scrape the bowl & mix at medium speed for 2-3 more minutes.





Add chips & stir until well blended.




Pour the batter into your greased bunt pan.



Allow your helper to lick the beater.



Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  Again, I went to take a picture of the oven dial.  Amazing how all the dirt & spots show up so clearly on a photo!  A bit more real than reality.  I think.

Take from oven and allow to cool.  Anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes.  The 30 minute is preferred, but when in a hurry, do the 5.  That's what we did.  My husband is the one who turned it upside down onto the plate this evening.  That way, I could blame him when some of the cake stuck to the pan.  It really doesn't matter, though.  It's still delicious and you do the Julia Child trick of just scraping the moist yumminess from the pan & patting it back onto the cake.

Now, you could be done at this point.  But, if you REALLY love chocolate, this is kinda fun:



Stick the container in the microwave for 30-45 seconds, stir, and pour on top of the cake.


Oh yeah.

Your family will love you.  Your friends will cherish you.  Your waistline....don't think about it.


In a nutshell:
1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
4 eggs
1 C sour cream
1/2 C oil
1/2 C warm water
1 1/2 C chocolate chips


Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Mix at low speed for 1 min.  Scrape bowl.  Mix on medium speed 2-3 minutes more.  Add chips and stir until blended.  Pour into greased bunt pan.  Bake for one hour or until tests clean.  
Allow to cool.  Turn upside down onto plate.  
Drizzle warm frosting over top, if desired.

No comments: