Sunday, March 11, 2012

My Week in Pictures - March 4-10, 2012

Well, this week was an utter failure.  I had intentioned to take a photo of each child for each day...7 children for 7 days.  Sounds like a great idea, right?  I thought so.  I got through 3 children.  On Wednesday, the fourth child had a hat on her head all day and I thought I'd get her picture when she was ready for church and looking a bit more photogenic.  Anyone who gets a bunch of kids ready for Wednesday night church probably already has deduced that THAT never happened.

I'm the kind of person that gets focused on one particular project and if it doesn't go to plan, I assume it's a failure.  I'm a fairly flexible person when it comes to the plans of other, but it takes me a while to realize that I just need to move on when one of my plans is failing.  Because I missed Wednesday, I thought that I could double-up on Thursday with kids.  That didn't happen.  Then I thought I'd can the 7-day thing and just have 7 photos - 1 of each child.  Have you ever tried to take decent photos of 3 or 4 children all in one day?  Let's just say there wasn't time for it.  So, because I couldn't forget about the goal, I dropped the ball completely.

Ever do that in your life?  We cling to a dream that proves impossible (due to circumstances, God's will, etc.) and refuse to notice the other opportunities that are flying by us.  When we finally realize what we are chasing or holding on to is futile, we often are left empty-handed.

The good news is, as long as we are breathing, there's still time to regroup.  Which is what I'm doing.  I missed 4 days out of this year.  That's a lot in a week, but a minuscule amount in the course of a year.  This week, I will pick up my camera and continue shooting.  Maybe the other four children will appear in next week's post.  I know I already have a shot for today.

Lesson learned...on a photographic and spiritual level.  Love how God used the literal illustration of pictures to show me a picture of my walk with Him.  I may fail, but I must not give up completely.

WEEK TEN (which consists of only 3 shots):

 Sunday 3/4 - Michael - 14 years old

 Monday 3/5 - Cassia - 12 years old

Tuesday 3/6 - Anna - 11 years old

These are the first three I cut my teeth on in parenthood.  I look back when I had these three little ones (they were born within 3 years & 1 month of each other), and remember how exhausting it was.  However, we had some fabulous times and did things we don't have time to do now.  While I should have probably stayed home more, I'm glad for the fun places we went to and the things we did together making memories.

Funny how we neglect to enjoy the good old days when they're today.

My oldest three, like all of my children, are a treasure.  But, in a different way.  They are my life-line on the tough days.  They are my responsible ones.  My muscle & brawn.  My biggest helpers.  I should thank God for them more.  And, I should thank them.  

I think I will.

No comments: