Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Welcome to...My Life! Mice, Stitches, & Spark Plugs

The last 24-hours have been filled with adventure and mayhem.  Well, more so than usual.

Let's begin with last night, shall we?  The kids and I were all snuggled in the front room - some of us on the couch & others on chairs scattered around - watching an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show (a classic, to be sure).  Suddenly, I saw something scurrying along the wall to my right.

A mouse.

If you're not sure how I feel about mice, read about the last time a mouse was spotted in our front room.  Yeah, that was about how it went last night.  I was calm, at first.  I remained on the couch keeping my feet elevated to make sure the furry creature wouldn't try to bite my toes.  The mouse had run behind the piano and the kids were trying to trap it.  However, it ran out from behind there and across the room.

"It's under the couch!"

THAT'S when I jumped off the couch and flew out of that room in record-breaking time.  The kids thought that was pretty funny.  I watched from a safe distance as they tore apart the sleeper-sofa looking for a mouse that might be taking a nap.  There was none to be found.  Therefore, when Daddy came home from late-night mowing, he provided a couple of types of traps for the kids to lay out.  This provided them with another opportunity to see mom jump as my 14-year old thought it hysterically funny when he set the traditional "snap-trap" off behind my head.

Hardy-har-har.

When the kids went to bed, I headed up earlier than usual.  There was no way I was sharing the same space with some fugitive mouse ready to crawl across my feet or up my back.  No way.

This morning, the good news was that the mouse was dead.  Seeing the remaining blood and fur on the "sticky-trap" where my husband had scraped him off was simultaneously nauseating and comforting.  Life could get back to normal.

For about 15 minutes.

I had asked our 10-year old daughter, Katrina, to take out the garbage.  Sadly, there was a broken glass in the bag and it scraped against her ankle.  Actually, it didn't scrape.  It gouged a hole in her ankle taking out a large piece of flesh which resulted in a continual flow of blood.

Is that graphic enough?

Off to the doctor we went.  I'm not one who runs to the ER for every little thing and I wanted to be sure that stitches were necessary.  Never mind the fact that you could count the three layers of skin just by looking at the wound.  So, after getting the predicted answer from the pediatrician, we headed to the hospital.  We were treated wonderfully and we were out in 2 hours.

By this time, the patient and her sister were pretty hungry.  I swung by McD's to get them a bit of a treat (otherwise known as a very unhealthy lunch) and then to Tim Horton's to get two LARGE coffees - one for me and one for my mother, who was waiting for us at our house.  While pulling up to the drive-through window at McD's, I realized that the lady with whom we checked-in at the hospital earlier that morning never returned my license and my insurance card.  Oh well.  Those could wait until later.  I needed coffee...NOW.

We were about a half-mile from home.  Katrina was doing well.  The hot coffee was in the cup holders and my mom was waiting at home for a relaxing chat.  I stopped at the new stop sign at the intersection.  No cars.  I took my foot off the brake and pressed the gas.

That's when it started.  The horrible clunking sound in my engine.  One half-mile from our house.  (Praise God I decided to go to the local hospital and not the one we usually go to 20-minutes away!)  I immediately pulled over and called my husband.  Who needs AAA when you've got a husband who gives immediate roadside assistance and will tow and fix the vehicle for free?!

After calling my husband, I called the house to let my mother know we'd be a couple of minutes later as we now had to walk home.  As we began to climb out of the car, I realized something.  Katrina had just gotten stitches in her ankle.  There's no way she should be walking a half-mile down the road.  Fortunately, my mother has a better head on her shoulders than I do and was already on her way to rescue us.  Her little blue car was directly behind my husband's big truck.  My two favorite people who are constantly rescuing me!

Apparently, our van blew a spark-plug.  When I first heard that, I thought, "Good.  Spark-plugs are no big deal."  Wrong.  Replacing a spark-plug is no big deal.  Fishing one that has popped off and flown into the engine and repairing the damage...THAT'S a big deal.

But, my can-do-anything husband has it under control.

I ended up having a relaxing time with my mom.  She later took me back to the hospital to get my license & insurance card.  I had my identification and my life back.

Interestingly, my day just about ended where we began.  Remember those mouse traps in our front room?  Yeah.  My two youngest kids found them.  Oh, not the "snap-traps" - but the "sticky-traps."  Did you know once you touch those, every piece of dust, lint, and fuzz instantly is attracted to your hands and fingers?  It takes a serious amount of scrubbing to get that glue off.  When we did, I told my daughter to get rid of that trap.   She found it.

"Guess what they did," she said.  "They flipped it upside down...on the rug!"

Welcome to...my life!!!

2 comments:

LisaAnne1976 said...

goo gone might work to get the sticky off of the rug and hands.. that stuff is awesome!! Sound like a fun, adventurous life that will keep you laughing till Christ calls you home!

Jamie Parfitt said...

We usually laugh about it the next day or the next week, NOT at the moment! Glad you got your identity and life back!