Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What I've Been Up To

Yes, I'm still here.  This summer has alternated between crazy busy and crazy relaxed.  Either I'm too busy to write or there's nothing to write about.  It's feast or famine here on the blog.

So, a quick re-cap of the last few weeks:

1)  Our whole family, along w/ Grandma, Grandpa, & cousin Erin headed up to Niagara Falls on July 3rd and had the time of our lives doing the "tourist-thing"!  The 2 highlights were the Maid of the Mist and the Cave of the Winds.  Had a soaking-great time!



2)  The kids and I have had a good time serving in our church's CHOICE Kids Club a couple of Saturdays this summer.  Three more to go and then we head into our first-ever VBS in August.  It is great to serve our God by loving kids.



3)  Wheat harvest came early and it was a record-breaking year.  With 100-130 bushels to the acre, my husband began to wonder where he was going to put it all.  Now, we pray for rain to save the soybeans and corn.

4)  I've been organizing and it makes me HAPPY!  Shelves that were a wreck are clean, straightened, and organized.  The attic and basement still loom over my head like a bad dream.



5)  Two of our friends have opened their pools to us this summer.  We have been taking advantage of that several days, so far.  Let's just say it's been a few years since my skin has been this dark!



6)  As mentioned earlier, my husband's niece is here for the summer visiting from Texas.  My kids have loved getting to know her and are looking forward to meeting her older sister in a couple of weeks.



7)  I've written all of my "end of year" school reports and am working on the "beginning of year" reports!

8)  I have sent out 121 invitations for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary party and am now taking phone calls w/ the RSVPs.  Next week, I'll be making several calls to those who haven't RSVPed.  In the meantime, I'm making final plans and will soon be ordering party supplies, etc.



9)  We've celebrated Zane's 5th birthday & Cassia's 13th birthday and are getting ready to celebrate Gloria's 7th birthday.  Busy month!



10)  I have this year's classes for our homeschool co-op planned and am working on the schedule this week.

I'm sure I could add to this list, but that's the Top 10.  It's been a good summer and I look forward to the remaining weeks of fun and accomplishment.

Hope your summer is going well.  What have you been up to?

2 comments:

Jamie Parfitt said...

Since no one else has stepped forward, here is what we have done: cleaned the garage, gotten rid of a pile of scrap metal, took all the nails out of a pile of wood and sorted it into bonfire or lumber wood (the kids smiled about that one!), broke the skidsteer twice (the battery falls out and it gets interesting, like running over the battery and smushing it into the ground, then lifting the skidsteer with the mini excavator and retrieving the battery), picked blueberries, helped at the Orleans County Fair, visited Elliott at the farm he works at, and helped at the Geneseo Airshow. I spent a lot of time on the couch with my broken toe up, and that's uncomfortable. But so is an aching foot. Well, I have lots of helpers.

That 50th anniversary party sounds fun. I'll bet the kids are super excited.

I wish I could see your basement. It sounds like it matches mine! I don't want to be the only one with a bad dream facing me. Hopefully that will get organized before the end of summer.

We had a carpenter for the past three days and he and the boys finally straightened the end of the wood flooring and caulked the gaps between that and the slate tile Ken and the boys put down. They used the incorrect 4" granite backsplash to make a unique kitchen baseboard for me. They cut some leftover solid oak into a nice toekick for the kitchen cabinets. And they tiled the entry with large slate tiles. That looks so nice! I am so happy to finally see the house get finished for Ken. We wish we could show him, but he has prettier floors where he is!

And last but not least, the children have learned to milk and goat and take turns with that daily. :-)

Praise the Lord for that wonderful wheat harvest! Matthew 13:30--"Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn."

Malachi 3:10--"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

Jamie Parfitt said...

That was milk THE goat. Sorry I didn't proofread first. The comment box is so small!