Friday, March 1, 2013

Desperate

A few days ago, I became aware of a book by the title of "Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe."  Andrea over at Martha Street has highly recommended it and is doing an on-line book discussion, chapter by chapter.

I respect Andrea, so I looked the book up on Amazon.  I debated getting the Kindle version - it was the cheapest, but paying almost $10 for a book is very difficult for me, even though I LOVE to read.  I am also not a big fan of "how-to" books.  I do, after all, read the greatest How-To Book each day! After a day or so, I went ahead and bought it.  I am so glad I did.

This book will benefit mommies of little ones and encourage older moms.  I have only read the introduction through chapter two and have already been extremely blessed.  I am realizing that God created me for this role of mother and has given me all the tools I need for my children.  He is walking with me in this journey.

Mom of littles....get this book.  You will see you are not alone nor does God intend for you to be alone as you raise your little ones.  You need Him and some godly women (remember Titus 2) to be with you throughout the daily toils, disasters, and joys of motherhood.  The authors of this book are both moms - one older and one younger.  They both know what it's like to be desperate...for God, for peace, for order, for wisdom, for friends...desperate to just breathe.

Older moms...get this book.  You are an older mom if your children are grown...or if you have children older than your friend.  While I am technically still a young mom, I am a relatively older mom and need to be on the look-out for mommies to help along in their journeys.  I need to be walking with God in order to do this, but I also need to just be real and remember the days of sleepless nights, messy diapers, and being spit up on.  Those days are not that long ago...I survived and I can encourage another sweet mom who feels like she is drowning in...well, let's not get graphic!  If we have more experience than someone else, we need to fulfill the role of Titus 2.  If we know someone who has more experience that us, we need to seek someone from whom we can learn and be encouraged.

I have been the most blessed by the verses and questions at the end of each chapter. It really helps me to seek what God has to say on the subject and how loved I feel when I see Him meeting me where I am at this time of my life.

I love the Kindle version which has links to short videos of the authors discussing each chapter.  You can find these videos via YouTube if you *only* have the hard copy of the book.

There's lots of on-line discussion on the book, as well.  Check out those sites.  Mommies & Moms...we need encouragement.  We need to learn how to be the mom God created you to be.  Join me and be blessed.  Be encouraged.  Spend a few bucks, get some quiet time (even if it's late at night), grab a cup of something hot and read  "Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe"

Let me know if you get the book and what you think.  Don't be surprised to see a little bit of discussion happening here from time to time.  Join in!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I survived and I can encourage another sweet mom who feels like she is drowning in...well, let's not get graphic!

That made me laugh! :-) I want to see if I can download this book now. Thanks for the recommendation!

~Lisa