Monday, March 4, 2013

I am the Lord Their God

For the past couple of weeks, I have been reading in the book of Ezekiel.  The majority of this prophetical book is God speaking to Ezekiel and the nation of Israel of the judgement that they will suffer as a consequence of their hardening their hearts toward Him.  Each chapter brings a new judgement or details of what God's chosen people will go through when they go into captivity.

I noticed two recurring statements whenever God reveals a judgement:
        
 "I the Lord have spoken it."
"And they shall know that I am the Lord."

You will find these statements in almost every chapter of the book of Ezekiel.  They often, though not always, are the last words of a chapter.

Until God speaks of the restoration of Israel.

In Ezekiel 28, God talks about when the time of judgement is ended.  All of Israel will come together after being scattered and they will build homes and vineyards.  They will be sanctified and dwell with confidence.  Life will be good and blessings will abound.  The last words of this chapter is another repeat of the second phrase above, but with an addition:  "And they shall know that I am the Lord their God."

Their God.  Two words not seen in the rest of the book, but God chooses to add them here.  After judgement, there is a reconciliation.  God is no longer the judge, but the Father.  There is now a relationship between God and His people.  Whenever there is chastisement, there is a distancing between the Father and child.  However, when it is over, the Father draws His children to Himself and communion is restored.  While the child feared his Father during discipline, he now feels His love.  The child has been corrected and has decided to obey and honor his Father.  He has now chosen to be on his Father's side.  

While in the judgement, while the children of Israel were suffering, hungering, and dying, they came to see & know that God was the Lord.  However, once it was over and they were reconciled once again to Him, they knew Him as the Lord their God.  He was theirs.  

So it is in my own life.  There have been times when I have distanced myself from God because of my own sin.  I still saw God, but only knew Him as the Lord.  The Creator.  The Holy One.  However, when I draw near to Him, have sweet communion with Him, and walk with Him, I know that He is the Lord my GOD.  He is my Creator.  He is my Father.  He is my Saviour.  I am His and He is mine.

Those two little words added to that oft-repeated phrase reveal a closeness & restoration in relationship.  "And they shall know that I am the Lord their GOD."  Is that how you know Him today?

2 comments:

Jamie Parfitt said...

So very good, Vickie. We need to keep coming back to Him and making Him OUR God.

By the way, I like your new wallpaper and photo for the blog. :-)

Victoria said...

Thank you, Jamie! I thought the place needed a bit of freshening up! Glad you like it. :)