Saturday, January 3, 2015

Saturday Scripture, Sayings, and Suggestions - January 3, 2015

It's Saturday!!!  Today, our family will be taking down the Christmas decorations, organizing and cleaning up to return to "normal" life.  School begins again on Monday, meaning I need to sit down with the books and plan the daily lessons.  Something in me enjoys getting back to the routine.

Let's get a little encouragement before we begin our day, shall we?

Scripture
Genesis 5:24 - "And Enoch walked with God:  and he was not; for God took him."

This is the verse from which my goal for 2015 was formed.  It is my desire to walk with God.

John 13:34-35 - "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another;  as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.  By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." 

Sayings
"I'm not here to eliminate poverty, to eradicate disease, to put a stop to people abandoning babies.  I'm just here to love." 
-Katie Davis Kisses from Katie

Whether in a third-world country or in our homes here in the US, we are here to love (read John 13:34-35 above).  Love those around you today.  
(Note to self:  that means not yelling at my 9-year old daughter for breaking my favorite necklace.  It means apologizing and showing her I love her more than a piece of jewelry or any thing on this planet.)

Suggestions

I just began reading the book Kisses from Katie, the story of a young high-school graduate giving her life and love to the people of Uganda.  It's a book I have long wanted to read and I quickly got to it after hearing Katie tell her story on Family Life today.  Check it out and listen to it with your family!


Every January, our church encourages "Sanctification Month."  This month we take a rest from all ministries (choirs, orchestra, nursing homes, children's outreach, etc.).  We try to avoid meetings, big parties, etc., as well.  Individuals often choose to take a rest from internet use, social media, phones, TV, etc.  The idea is to take the month to focus on Christ and family and be rejuvenated for the rest of the year.  We are setting ourselves apart unto Christ so that we may better serve Him.  My suggestion?  Try this with us.  Take a break from something this month.  In its place, spend more time in the Word, in prayer, in worship to Christ.  Take time to read a missionary biography or another book to edify you in your walk with Jesus.  Finally, take time to just enjoy your family, whatever that may look like for you.  

Enjoy your weekend!!!!


No comments: