Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Hard to Beat



On Sunday morning, our pastor preached a powerful message on marriage.  The premise was basically how after 20 years, marriage should be better, not worse.  How is it that every job, every vocation, every other thing in life is supposed to get better with time and experience…except for marriage?  It seems the expectation is for happiness to dwindle as soon as the honeymoon is over.  Looking at the divorce rate, that does seem to be a reasonable expectation.  But, in truth, marriage should get better with time.

I am not going to write a long post repeating my pastor's message.  Nor am I going to use this time to talk about how my husband and I have worked on making our marriage better over the last 20 years -  that may be for another time.  I just wanted to share with you one of the biggest compliments we have ever received on our marriage.

On Sunday evening, my husband and I were talking with our kids about that morning's message.  Eric said that he had watched his parents as he grew up and believed they had a good marriage.  Yet, he wanted an even better marriage than what they had, even though, again, it was good.  He said he believes we, indeed, do have a better marriage than his parents.

Then he said to the kids, "I hope you guys have even better marriages than mom and I have."

To which our 15 year old daughter replied, "That's going to be hard to beat."

She was speaking from her heart, not knowing what a compliment she was giving us.  How blessed I am that our children see a good marriage living out before their eyes!  How grateful I am for God's grace which is the only means by which this marriage exists.   The Evil One would like nothing better than to destroy this picture of Christ and His Church.  It is my continual prayer that his attacks continue to be futile.

Our marriage…hard to beat. Humbled and grateful for that compliment.  And, while I do hope each of our children have even better marriages than their parents, I am glad that it will be a difficult goal to attain.  

1 comment:

Jillian Snyder said...

You all are a great example to all who know you! Thank you!