Saturday, March 21, 2015

Saturday Scripture, Sayings, and Suggestions: March 21, 2015


Last week, I wasn't here on the blog because I had a fabulous 13th birthday party to prepare for and to give.  Tomorrow, our fourth child turns 13.  Yes, four teenagers under one roof, three of them girls.  If you think to pray for us, please feel free! ;)  Seriously, though, whenever we have a group of our children's friends over, I realize once again what a blessing it is that each of them has chosen their friendships well.  Our children have friends who love and care for them and encourage them in their walk with the Lord.  God is good!

Scripture

I will remember the works of the Lord: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.  I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.
Psalm 77:11-12


Sayings




Suggestions

This past Sunday, I saw a girl intently reading a book after church.  Always looking for a good read and repeating this young lady for her sweet godly spirit, I e-mailed her the next day asking her what she was reading.  She gave me the name of the book and directed me to the author's website.  There, I found an on-line magazine that is so very encouraging.  Check out Set Apart Girl magazine.  There are articles for teens, young adult women, and mothers.


A few years ago, I heard from a friend about an on-line writing course for homeschoolers.  A course that was begun and is run by the daughter of a friend and a homeschool graduate, herself.  I was hesitant to look into it….about 5 years hesitant.  This year, I checked it out and signed my kids up.  
So Verbose has a variety of writing classes for elementary through high school.  Each course is 9 weeks long and $50 (A discount is given if someone you have referred signs up).  Mrs. Grape gives weekly lessons and assignments through e-mail.  She is prompt in correcting the assignments within 24 hours of their due-date.  She gives real grades, wonderful suggestions and is answers any questions.  All of my children have show marked improvement in their grammar and writing skills with her help.  Sign-up is now open for the spring quarter and will be open until April 6th.  Go on over, peruse the site and see if it's a good fit for you.  


Now, for my children's books recommendations:

I must admit, How to Make an Apple Pie and see the world, makes it to my Top-5  favorite children's book list.  This is a wonderful tale of a girl who travels the world to obtain the very best ingredients to with which to make a delicious apple pie to eat with her friends.  We have had such fun learning geography and cultures through reading this book.  And, of course, when you are done, follow the recipe on the back and make an apple pie with your little ones.


Most of the books I am recommending, I never even heard of until my oldest child was 4 or 5 years old.  Shouldn't we all endeavor to make the world around us more beautiful?  That is the challenge in Miss Rumphius.  The tale of a little girl growing into womanhood, traveling the world, and living her retirement at home making the area around her more beautiful is one that endeared this book to my heart the very first time I read it.



I am now going to try to finish reading a book I began weeks ago, on this first relatively-free Saturday I have had in a long time.  Enjoy your Saturday, dear friends.


No comments: