Saturday, August 29, 2015

Saturday Scripture, Sayings, and Suggestions: August 29, 2015

Well, it's the last Saturday of August and the Saturday before we begin our schooling (hopefully).  Summer break is drawing to a close and it's time to get back into the routine - including here on the blog.  I have missed my visits with you on Saturdays and hope to be back here more regularly for our Saturday morning coffee (or afternoon tea, or evening dessert - depending on our schedules).
This week, our first-born daughter began college classes and she will officially begin her Senior year on the home-front this week.  I am only teaching 6 children as our graduate continues to work his current job and look for new employment.  Some days, I feel very old.  Other days, I feel satisfied and blessed. 
It's been such a crazy summer that I have had little time to organize our school books, so that is on the agenda for today.  I am looking forward to a Saturday at home just doing much-needed household chores and being with my kids.
If you are beginning school this week, or already have, whether it's homeschool or not, know that I am saying a prayer for you & your children today.  May the following scripture, sayings and suggestions bless you on your way....

Scripture

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.  
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
...for ye serve the Lord Christ."
Colossians 3:17, 23, 24


"Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established."
Proverbes 16:3


Sayings








Suggestions

Blog:  Reaping in Joy.  


Sweet Molly Little went home to heaven on May 24.  This has been a summer of sorrow for her family, but they continue to hold tight to God and trust Him.  I cannot tell you the blessing and encouragement her mother has been to my soul these past 14 months.  But, you can experience the blessing over at her blog, Reaping in Joy.  Read her latest post and then get to really know her heart by taking the time to read through all of her past posts throughout this week.  You'll walk away grateful for what God has given you and trusting Him just a little more.

My husband and I don't really believe dating is a good idea...not in the modern sense of the word.  We truly believe that our children ought to date only someone they intend to marry.  Casual romances and the dating games create insecurities, don't encourage healthy friendships, put on undo pressure, and cause much heartbreak unnecessarily.  But, is the conservative courtship process the best approach?  I read this article about a year ago and it still has me thinking.  Our older children are quickly approaching the age where we will need to make some decisions...Lord, help!



I have read this book several time to my young children.  In fact, I think we actually own the book - if I could just find it.  Anyway, I had never heard of the determined Louis Bleriot and his history-making flight across the English Channel until I first read this picture book about 12 years ago.  Currently, I am reading one of the first accounts of Lindbergh's historic flight and Bleriot is mentioned several times, which brought this book to mind.  It's a fun, well-written, beautifully illustrated biography that your children will enjoy over and over again.



The title basically gives you the idea.  This book is the fantastic autobiography of Lopez Lomong, Olympic runner.  How God miraculously saved him from death after being captured by rebel soldiers when he was 6 years old, how he survived the refugee camp for 10 years in Kenya and how he was chosen to come to America will amaze you.  And, that's just the beginning of how God has blessed this young man and his life.  



Ernie Pyle was a phenomenal writer.  I read one of his books earlier this summer and learned more about America's soldiers in World War II than I ever learned before through his poignant and real style.  This article about the death of an Army Captain is a prime example of Pyle's exemplary writing.  Grab a tissue...it will move you to tears.


Lots of reading recommended for you today, but I suppose that is appropriate for the approaching school year.   I will be on the look-out for some cool photos and videos for next week.  Until then, may the Lord bless you abundantly!

No comments: