Saturday, September 5, 2015

Saturday Scripture, Sayings, and Suggestions: September 5, 2015


Good afternoon!!!  I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning fellowshipping around a campfire and then had some errands to run; therefore, I am writing my Saturday morning post when it is almost noon.  
The kids and I began doing a bit of school this past week.  While it wasn't a full load, I will say it was a successful week.  I am looking forward to getting into it full-swing this week.
Walking in the store today, I saw apples and apple cider at the entrance.  Even though it is so humid outside that you break a sweat just sitting, there is no doubt autumn is right around the corner.  I LOVE this time of year - hot apple cider, wagon rides, campfires, pumpkins, crunchy leaves, and beautiful colors.  Makes me truly love New York!
Right now, be blessed, edified, and smile.  I promised you some videos this week....and I came through.  Enjoy!


Scripture


Keep thy heart with all diligence: for out of it are the issues of life.
Proverbs 4:23

But as teaching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another...And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you..."
I Thessalonians 4:9,11 
 (perfect verses for the beginning of our homeschool year!)

Sayings




Suggestions


Laura Holt and her husband Stephen are missionaries to Sierra Leone - one of the most areas most plagued by ebola over the last year.  Due to the disease, Laura came home in August of 2014, but Stephen has remained in Sierra Leone ministering to those around him risking his health and life to minister to those dying physically and spiritually.  Stephen and Laura are modern-day missionary heroes and at Gather the Fragments you can read the ponderings of this dear missionary wife.  
(The blog is a portion of their entire website, so feel free to check out their ministry while you're there.)


Children's Literature: Lentil


Robert McCloskey is one of my favorite children's authors.  His drawings and stories are real enough to be believable, but fiction enough to be fun.  This is the story of a boy who couldn't carry a tune through song, but through constant practice, he mastered the harmonica.  How he used his talent to save the pride of his town will make you smile....hey, it made sour Old Sneep smile! ;)


Good reads for Adults:  Peace Like a River


My brother gave me this book and it sat on my shelf for so long I forgot it was there.  Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down.  When I finished it, I gave it to my teenagers to read.  This was Leif Enger's first book and it topped the charts...and for good reason.  It's the sometimes-sweet, sometimes-sad, sometimes-unbelievable, most usually gripping tale of a seemingly ordinary family in which quiet miracles often happen in the midst of their biggest trial.  




Oh, c'mon!!!! Tell me this video doesn't make you smile!!!!  




Maybe you've seen this before?  Watch it again.




Celebrating Labor Day weekend?  Here's why.
(Interesting that today is September 5th.)


Wishing you all a very happy Labor Day weekend.  Let's squeeze all we can out of this last official weekend of summer!  See you next week!

2 comments:

Ruth Redman said...

Very refreashing read. The boat song is so sweet. Keep blogging!

Ruth Redman said...

Very refreashing read. The boat song is so sweet. Keep blogging!