In just a few days, the fifteenth year of the second millenium A.D., will come to an end. For about a week, I have been contemplating my goals for the coming year; however, I realized how I should look at the year I've just been through and what I have learned and accomplished. It is by this reflection that I am better able to set new goals and assess how I can improve myself.
1. For what I believe is the first time in my married life (21 years), I read my Bible through this year. I began January 2 and was able to finish on December 23. I was blessed to have many times when God truly spoke to me through His Word, I was able to spill my heart to Him and lift my spirit while praising Him.
2. I was able to learn more of what it is to "be still" and see God work. There were many times this year when I wanted to jump in and fix something and other times when I knew something needed to be done, but I just didn't know what. I would wait and pray...and I would see God work in ways I never would have thought. Being still and waiting does not come naturally to me...this is someting my husband has been teaching me for years and, by God's grace, I am learning this lesson. The benefits and blessings of waiting are tremendous. It's so much more fun to see God work things out than having me mess things up.
3. Almost 2 years ago, I read Ann Voskamp's 1000 Gifts for the first time. It was then I began to give thanks and count gifts, making my own list of 1000 blessings. It shouldn't have taken as long as it did, but I finished my first 1000 this year. I am on my second list now.
4. My husband bought me a wonderful brand new bike and I biked may miles along the Erie Canal this summer.
5. In the last month, I have learned to crochet and have completed a couple of little projects. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
6. After about 10 years or more, I have picked up my guitar again. It's surprising how much I remember. I have no plans to play publically as I wholly play before the Lord. I am so blessed to have this wonderful and fun way to worship.
How I have been blessed this past year! All I have learned, experienced, accomplished and have been given has come from my Saviour. I believe I will concentrate on just praising and thanking Him these next few days.
How about you? In what ways have you grown and been blessed in 2015? I would love to hear!