Monday, December 28, 2015

Reflecting on 2015

In just a few days, the fifteenth year of the second millenium A.D., will come to an end.  For about a week, I have been contemplating my goals for the coming year; however, I realized how I should look at the year I've just been through and what I have learned and accomplished.  It is by this reflection that I am better able to set new goals and assess how I can improve myself.

1.  For what I believe is the first time in my married life (21 years), I read my Bible through this year.  I began January 2 and was able to finish on December 23.  I was blessed to have many times when God truly spoke to me through His Word, I was able to spill my heart to Him and lift my spirit while praising Him.  

 2.  I was able to learn more of what it is to "be still" and see God work.  There were many times this year when I wanted to jump in and fix something and other times when I knew something needed to be done, but I just didn't know what.  I would wait and pray...and I would see God work in ways I never would have thought.  Being still and waiting does not come naturally to me...this is someting my husband has been teaching me for years and, by God's grace, I am learning this lesson.  The benefits and blessings of waiting are tremendous.  It's so much more fun to see God work things out than having me mess things up.

 3.  Almost 2 years ago, I read Ann Voskamp's 1000 Gifts for the first time.  It was then I began to give thanks and count gifts, making my own list of 1000 blessings.  It shouldn't have taken as long as it did, but I finished my first 1000 this year.  I am on my second list now.

 4.  My husband bought me a wonderful brand new bike and I biked may miles along the Erie Canal this summer.

 5.  In the last month, I have learned to crochet and have completed a couple of little projects. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

 6.  After about 10 years or more, I have picked up my guitar again.  It's surprising how much I remember.  I have no plans to play publically as I wholly play before the Lord.  I am so blessed to have this wonderful and fun way to worship.

 How I have been blessed this past year!  All I have learned, experienced, accomplished and have been given has come from my Saviour.  I believe I will concentrate on just praising and thanking Him these next few days.

 How about you?  In what ways have you grown and been blessed in 2015?  I would love to hear!

No comments: