Friday, January 1, 2016

Improvement


Happy New Year!!  I hope your New Year's Eve was spent just the way you like.  I was sick, but I enjoyed a quiet evening at home with my husband and children - just the way I like!

On my last post, I reflected on 2015.  What a blessed year it was for me personally.  Not everything was perfect - we had more doctor appointments this year than in many, we've had to make some tough decisions regarding relationships, and I've run myself ragged a couple of times.  Yet, in the trials as well as in the countless joys, I have heard God, felt His presence, and have seen Him work.  

To be honest, I forgot what phrase I had chosen for my theme this year.  I looked back and found it:  walk with God.  It was my goal to walk with God throughout the year. And, though I forgot that along the way, I truly believe I walked with God.  I may have strayed from the path a bit from time to time, but I really could not for very long before I knew I would get terribly lost without Him.  Sometimes, the path has been so dark, I could not see where God was taking me, but He has led me safely to the light each time.  It's been a great walk...a walk I plan to continue.

This brings me to this year's theme.  Let me share with you some of my goals for this year:

1. To, not only read my Bible through again, but to read it daily.

2. To ride, at least, 300 miles on my bike throughout the year.

3. To crochet a couple of scarves and, at least, 1 blanket.  Having just learned this skill, this is a pretty big goal.

4. To trust my husband even more.

I had set my goals a few days ago.  Then, I read Heidi St. John's post on why New Year's resolutions don't work.  Instead of resolve, we need inspiration.  Instead of doing, we must become.  What is my inspiration for my goals?  

Improvement.  

I want to improve this year.  I don't want to pick up a new hobby.  I don't want to learn a new skill.  I don't want to change who I am.  I want to improve on what I do.  I want to improve who I am.  Improve my relationship with the Lord.  Improve my relationship with my husband.  Improve my new-found skills.  Improve  my physical self.  

I do not look within myself for this improvement.  I ask God for wisdom, strength, grace, and character building.  I have walked with Him long enough to know He will help me.  I will continue to walk with Him and He will prove me throughout this year.  

With His proving, I will improve.  

No comments: