Monday, April 4, 2016

It's Monday



Monday.

Normally, I am not a subscriber to the "ugh-it's Monday-philosophy".  Some of my best days are Mondays.  However, today...

Ugh! It's Monday!

Last night we realized our dishwasher was leaking water underneath my laminate and ruining my floor.  We were also in the middle of a snowstorm.  Hardly any snow all winter; now it's April and we get a storm.

Mondays always begin with Sunday nights.

This morning, I woke up listening to the wind blow.  My husband got up, dressed and went downstairs.  A few minutes later, he came back to tell me water was standing in the dishwasher and we have to go back to washing dishes by hand until he can figure things out.  When he left, I was left thinking about the years we did that and how very few of my children really mastered the skill of washing dishes.  Maybe we'd go to paper plates....something I had once determined never to do.  I dragged myself out of bed as I needed to work out.  I weighed myself - gained almost a pound over the weekend.

Monday.

I began to work out.  Something I usually enjoy was such a drudgery.  I just wanted to go back to bed.  My husband came back upstairs and we talked a little bit about the dishwasher.  He was feeling bad about it and knew I was upset.  When he left, I just started to cry thinking about my dishwasher, my floor, all the stuff in my 130+ year old house that is chipping, cracking and falling apart.

But then I started to thank God through my tears.  I thanked Him for a roof over my head, a healthy body to exercise, healthy children all at home.  I didn't float up into the clouds, but I realized that things could be so much worse and God truly has blessed me.

A while later, as I was reading my Bible, I came across I Samuel 10:19 where Samuel was talking to the children of Israel when they made Saul King:

"And ye have this day rejected your God, who himself saved you out of all your adversities and your tribulations..."

It hit me that complaining is ingratitude and ingratitude is a rejection of God.  God has a reason for all that happens in my life.  He is in control.  He has blessed me beyond measure.  He has, indeed, saved me from all of my adversities and tribulations.

He forgave me.
He has shown my incomprehensible grace.
He cared for my son in his scoliosis.
He cared for my daughter with her kidney issues.
He has healed me and my family countless times.
He has given my a wonderful husband.
He has given me my home.

How could I be ungrateful?  How could I bemoan the fact that I don't have a dishwasher at the moment?  How could I shed tears over a healthy pound?  How could I be so pathetic as to be put out by the weather?  How do I dare reject the God Who is and always has been with me?

My dishwasher is still broken.  I still have the added pound.  The snow still lies on the ground.  Yet, God gave me peace.  He gave me a spirit of thanksgiving.

It's Monday...and it's not so bad.

No comments: