Saturday, April 23, 2016

Saturday Scripture, Sayings, and Suggestions: April 23, 2016



What a week!  Our second child received her driver's license Monday, she miraculously got a car Tuesday, and I have gained an extra 2-3 hours a day now that I don't have to drive her back and forth to college each day!  Her brother also received a pick-up on Tuesday (I will have to tell you all the story behind these vehicles in a post next week) and he has been actively learning how to drive standard so he can get it on the road.  Today is filled with baking for my mother-in-law's birthday, a stop at my favorite coffee shop, and a chamber orchestra concert this evening with my girls.  Looking to be a wonderful Saturday.  But first...

Scripture

He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.
I Samuel 23:3
Ironically, I read this verse the day after the NY primary election.  Think about this verse as we approach November.

When God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
Acts 2:24
How marvelous to think that death could not hold down Jesus Christ!  How could it?  For Jesus is LIFE!

Sayings

This week marked the 127th birthday of this cruel dictator.  While he was evil, he almost ruled the world due to insights such as this.  THINK!



Suggestions


As promised on my Instagram post yesterday morning, here is the link to some delicious and healthy (!) blueberry muffins.  These muffins are low is saturated fat and no white sugar!  They are made with white-wheat flour (who knew such a thing existed?).  While wheat flour can make baked goods "heavy," this flour gives you the goodness of wheat but with a lighter result.  The only change I made was that I used plain nonfat Greek yogurt instead of vanilla flavored.  The cinnamon, honey, banana, wheat, and blueberries add all the sweetness you need!  As I was able to get 19 muffins from the recipe rather than the 15 as the recipe states, my calorie calculator totaled 108 calories per muffin rather than the creator's 131 - BONUS!  Even my husband and kids liked these!  


Whether you homeschool or not, whether or not you have children, I highly recommend this dvd series by Christian historian David Barton.  I was able to purchase this set for half of its retail price at a homeschool sale last year.  It is what my 11th grader has been using for her social studies this school year, as I have been developing a curriculum to go with this.  In this series, Barton discusses the true belief and reliance on God our country was founded upon.  I am continuously amazed of what we take for granted as truth and law that are truly neither.  This series will open your eyes to our real history...and maybe motivate you to take action in some way.  
Homeschoolers: book sale season is upon us...keep your eyes peeled for this item, if you would rather not pay full price.  However, if you do buy it from Amazon or Wallbuilders, your money will go directly toward other media and resources to re-educate our society in truth.


Thanks to Pandora, I was introduced to David Tolk's peaceful and beautiful instrumental music.  This is the first album I have downloaded and will download more in the future.  The relaxing pieces make for perfect background music when our home is full of guests or just when we need something soothing while we are doing school or cleaning.  Let me know what you think if you add this to your music library.


Max Lucado has a way of using his writing to enter your heart and opening your spiritual eyes to see things in a way you never have before.  I read this book a few years ago, but I recall the reading impacting me as I realized anew the great love that Christ had and has for me.  He chose the nails - for me, for you.


This iTunes app has been my constant companion for the last 53 days.  Realizing that I needed to get back into shape and shed a few pounds, I knew I had to do the one and only thing that has ever proven to give me success in this - track my exercise and calories.  This app is wonderful as it breaks down my days, each of my three meals, snacks, exercise and water intake.  Counting calories is so much easier with this app than any others I have used as I can scan the bar codes of the ingredients I use along with the serving size rather than typing in and searching everything.  I can also import recipes from my favorite websites and create my own recipes and know how many calories I am taking in per serving.  I have lost 12 pounds in 7 weeks...I think it's been successful. 


That's all for this Saturday.  I need to get my baking started!  Come back and check the blog frequently this week as I have several posts forming already in my mind.  Friday will launch a new feature, as well.  Hope to have you visit throughout the week.   May you all be blessed this weekend!

No comments: