Wednesday, July 6, 2016

A Dry Soul



Sometimes, the drought doesn't just affect the land.  Sometimes, a drought affects your soul.

Dry weather does not immediately destroy the crops.  The plants continue to grow and remain green for quite sometime.  However, after a while, the leaves begin to turn in to conserve moisture and then they begin to wilt and brown.  If rain does not come, they will die.

When a shot of rain comes, even if it's just a little, those leaves spread out and soak in as much as they can.  The plants will become even greener, a little growth occurs, and there is hope.  Hope for more rain.  Hope for more growth.  Those plants appear to be stretching up just hoping for another heavenly drink.

So it was with me.  At the same time our corn was beginning to shrivel, my soul was, as well.  The corn thirsted and so did I.  We both did fine for a while without a good long drink, but the dryness was beginning to take it's toll.

Life has been so very busy.  Graduation, parties, birthdays, commitments, driving kids to work, etc....I wasn't taking time to drink from the Word.  How often I go along and think I am doing fine with just a glance at the Bible, a quick prayer to God.  How often I forget past droughts and how my soul has suffered.  My soul got to the point where it was suffering and I knew I needed water desperately.

Early last week, I got a shot of rain.  Just a little bit of Water washed over me and it was refreshing.  I felt renewed and I stretched my hands for more.  I knew that one brief rain wasn't enough.  I needed more in order to go deeper and reach the roots.  My soul was empty and I am in the process of allowing God to fill it by drinking deeply of that eternal Water.

Just as my husband was looking up in the rain with joy and feeling it pour over him, my soul is doing the same.  God is pouring His Words, His love, His blessings out on me and I am soaking it in.  I feel I am growing and not wilting.  I have hope that I will bear more fruit for His glory.

Will there be another dry spell?  Probably.  Our lives truly have seasons.  Whether I willingly ignore time with the Lord or life just gets so busy that I can only get spritzes here and there, there are droughts.  Yet, those periods of dryness make the rainy seasons more wonderful.

O God, thou art my God; early will I see thee: my soul thirtsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; To see thy power and thy glory...Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.  Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name. -Psalm 63:1-4

For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground..And they shall spring up as among the grass, as willows by the water courses.  -Isaiah 44:3-4

No comments: