Friday, July 29, 2016

Foodie Friday - Oat Indulgence

So...I started Foodie Friday back in April.  April 29, to be exact.  So, today marks three months since I have begun this series.  Let me count how many posts this will be.

One...Two.

Yes, three months and this is only the second time I have been able to post on a Friday.  Either time, brain power, or energy has not allowed it.

But, maybe today's food is the cause for my brain power and energy on this day.  This morning, for the first time ever, I indulged in Overnight Oats.

Can indulge and oats appear in the same sentence?  Apparently so, though I never would have expected it.  You see, for most of my life I have hated oatmeal with a passion.  Thin oatmeal looks soupy.  Thick oatmeal looks gloppy (just saying that word makes me lose my appetite!).  It's either clumpy, bland, too sweet or just plain gross.  However, in the last couple of years, I have tasted one kind of oatmeal that I actually can say I enjoy.  That would be my husband's stovetop apple-cinnamon-brown sugar oatmeal.  Maybe it's the fruit.  Maybe it's the spices.  Maybe it's the love with which he makes it.  Whatever it is...it's what I believe oatmeal was meant to be.

Because of my positive experience with my husband's delectable oatmeal, I have been cautiously optimistic.  I have viewed and pinned overnight oat recipes for a while, but today, I took the plunge.  And, I have decided I will be jumping in again soon!


Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats

Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats
 recipe adapted from Happy Healthy Motivated
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon stevia powder
  • 1 tablespoon neufchâtel 
  • 1/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
  • 1/4cup skim (or almond) milk - I used almond
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional - I opted out
  • 5-8 large strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped
Recipe
  1. Place all the ingredients - except for the chopped strawberries - into a medium bowl and stir until everything is totally combined.
  2. Layer the overnight oat mixture into the jar with the strawberries. You can do as many layers as you like.
  3. Place in the fridge and leave for at least 4 hours to chill before eating.

I mixed this up last night after dinner.  It took me about 8 minutes to get my ingredients, mix them, layer them in this cute jar and get into the fridge.   While the oatmeal mixture was a bit bland, it wasn't gross.  I also discovered that most of my neufchâtel was at the bottom layer.  Next time, I will mix it in better.  However, the combination with the oats and strawberries was divine!  I ate this two hours ago and I am still not hungry - which is a bit of a miracle for me!  

Try it and let me know what you think.  Have you had overnight oats?  What recipe would you recommend?  Would love to hear so I can add it to my breakfast menu!

Now that I have two posts, I guess I can officially call this a series.  Look for the third installment next week...or in three months from now. ;) 


1 comment:

LizAnnQ said...

Laughing so hard. Pregnancy/nursing have finally taught me that the oatmeal I despised so much as a child actually can be an indulging treat.
I can't wait to hear how it goes with your next batch of oats - I sometimes use soaked plain overnight oats in smoothies but just can't get past the idea of eating cold oatmeal. Funny how I can eat it puréed with ice and fruit but not cold from the fridge with a spoon...